Gannon’s annual G.I.V.E day takes place Saturday

G.I.V.E. day offers students service and fun.

Gannon’s Invitation to Volunteer Everywhere (G.I.V.E.) Day, which occurs throughout the community annually, will take place on Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon.

The event gives Gannon students, faculty, friends and family a chance to gain service hours through helping to clean and rebuild Erie neighborhoods.

Gannon athletes are often required by their respective coaches to participate in the community building event, but that doesn’t mean they don’t enjoy it.

C.J. Thibault, a fifth-year sports management and marketing student at Gannon, as well as a five-year veteran on the university’s hockey team, explains his experience with G.I.V.E. Day.

“I’ve done it every year because of hockey,” he said. “Last year we cleaned the Tom Ridge Environmental Center and it was actually a lot of fun.”

However, it isn’t just the enjoyable nature of the affair that keeps C.J. volunteering. He said it’s a good team-building exercise and you also get the feeling that you’re doing something good for the community.

Gannon’s athletes aren’t the only students who participate in G.I.V.E. Day. There is always a variety of majors and clubs volunteering their time.

Devin Boger, a junior mechanical engineering major, has also contributed to the event in each of his two years at Gannon.

“My group cleaned down at the Bayfront last year,” Boger said. “Getting to be with my friends while also earning community service hours makes G.I.V.E. Day worthwhile for me.”

Boger plans on participating in the upcoming G.I.V.E. Day as well.

He said he plans on doing it for the rest of his time at Gannon. “It’s only a few hours out of one weekend to do something good for others,” Boger said.

This year marks the 17th straight year that G.I.V.E. Day will be taking place, and all students are invited to participate in this day of cleaning and restoring the Erie community.

If you have any questions about G.I.V.E. Day, you can contact Sara Nesbitt from the Center for Social Concerns at [email protected].

CHARLES LEAR