Gannon earns distinction as a ‘Best Value School’

The 2015 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s “America’s Best Colleges” was recently released and Gannon University was the only university in western Pennsylvania to earn the distinction as a “Best Value School” in the “Great Schools at a Great Price” category.

This is the ninth consecutive year that Gannon has been recognized for providing high-quality education at a great price.

The “Great Schools at a Great Price” rankings look at the university’s overall ranking in the 2015 listing of “America’s Best Colleges,” which determines academic quality. Also considered is the cost of attendance for a student receiving the average level of need-based financial aid for 2013-14.

“I didn’t even know we were a ‘Best Value School,’” Breanne Kennelty an early childhood and special education major, said. “I guess I’m not too surprised though; for my major we get a great hands-on education.”

“High quality, affordable education was Archbishop John Mark Gannon’s goal when he founded Gannon University and it remains our goal today,” William R. Edmondson, the vice president of enrollment, said.

“Exceptional education at an affordable price; it’s what Gannon does.”

Gannon is ranked 60th in the “Best Regional Universities” in the north. Regional universities are those that provide a full range of undergraduate majors and master’s programs, according to U.S. News & World Report. In order to qualify for this standard, Gannon had to meet qualitative measurements on the academic rankings of the university on certain tests administered by U.S. News & World Report.

“Delivering a high-quality affordable education is central to the mission of this university and is exemplified by the significant enhancements to the learning environment being made, as well as the decision to control the tuition increase for this year at a 27-year record low,” Gannon President Keith Taylor, Ph.D, said.

“Being named to this elite list of ‘Great Schools at a Great Price’ just days after we welcomed our largest enrollment to campus in 22 years is a strong affirmation that our students and their parents agree that a Gannon University education offers value.”

Gannon was also 21st on the list of Best Colleges for Veterans among universities in the north region. Gannon ranked 20th in the region for the percentage of international students that attend the university.

“It is very exciting that our school is getting recognized for being a great value,” Alek Michali, an accounting major, said.

“It is good to know that someone outside of the university can acknowledge the effort our administration puts forth to keep Gannon a good school at a low cost.”

SARAH BARTKOWIAK