AlumKnights: Welcome Back

On behalf of the Gannon University Alumni Association, I’d like to thank you for reading the first AlumKnights column of the new academic year.

Over 35,000 alumni around the globe make up the membership of the Gannon University Alumni Association. Gannon graduates are automatically considered an Alumni Association member if you have attended Gannon for at least one semester. Membership is free – there is no fee to be a part of the Alumni Association.

The Alumni Association is led by 15 directors and 13 regional coordinators who serve on the National Alumni Board to fulfill the mission of engaging and connecting alumni to the university and to one another. Despite being an all-volunteer board, this group is so committed to Gannon University that 100 percent of the board gave to the Annual Fund this past year!

As one of the more recent graduates on the National Alumni Board, I’m humbled to begin a two-year term as president of the Alumni Association and to serve with all of the current directors and regional coordinators as we create lifelong connections among Gannon University and Villa Maria College alumni.

The all-volunteer board meets three times per year on campus and continues to work through email and conference calls between meetings. In the past year we’ve formulated a new strategic plan to guide our membership for the next four years with the cornerstone objectives of engagement, networking, marketing and board development and efficiency.

At our last meeting in June, the National Alumni Board established a new committee structure to implement our new goals. Many opportunities exist for current students to be involved, so be sure to let us know if you’re interested. More information on our goals and committees can be found at www.gannonalumni.org.

As you prepare for GIVE Day throughout Erie on Saturday, Sept. 20, remember that alumni from 11 regions throughout the country will spend the morning doing the same in our respective communities. In just a little over a month from now, hundreds of alumni will come back to campus for Alumni Homecoming Reunion Weekend to celebrate the Gannon legacy with all of you.

Stay tuned for more information on these events and more in future AlumKnight columns.

Know that the best wishes from alumni around the globe are being sent to all Gannon students, faculty and staff as the new academic year begins. We’re standing beside you every step of the way.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] with any ideas, questions or concerns. I look forward to seeing you on campus during Homecoming Reunion Weekend if not sooner.

BRIAN KURTZ, ‘08