Recreation and Wellness Center opens

Gannon University’s Recreation and Wellness Center modernization has been one of the latest transformations to be made to the campus buildings and was officially opened on Aug. 29.
The update included 12,000- square-feet of additional floor space to work with. In the addition there is brand new workout equipment, new locker rooms, wrestling room, and a new room for the acrobatics and tumbling team.
One of the biggest additions made to the Recreation Center is the 51,950 of square feet used for the indoor field house – an 80-yard indoor turf field. This addition is especially exciting for the athletic coaches.
With the indoor field, athletic teams will be able to utilize more time during the colder months and finally have the chance to excel in the training spring semester weather once prohibited. The Gannon women’s lacrosse coach Lindsey Lowman said this facility will give her team the proper training tools to strongly compete in the Pennsylvania State Athletics Conference for the 2015 season.
“This will be a huge asset for us during the winter months to train and get a leg up on our competition,” Lowman said.
“I know that it will only make us better as individuals, as a team and as a university.”
Colin Peterson, a Gannon alumnus and current coach of the women’s soccer team, said he finds it reassuring to see the university investing in the student athletes and all of the Gannon teams. He said when he brings recruits in to the new Recreation Center they will see that the university believes in the possibilities of all of its athletes – current and potential.
“When they see the amazing facility I know they will want to use it to its full advantage,” said Peterson.
“I know my team will be using it to its full potential. My goalies will finally be able to work on techniques they were never able to before due to the snow.”
One of the other new additions is geared toward a combination of both academic and physical learning. The Human Performance Laboratory will be used by faculty and students studying physical therapy, sport and exercise science, human performance, occupational therapy and bio-medical engineering programs.
This new facility will be very helpful for faculty doing research with all the new equipment that the university has provided. It will also give students the opportunity to learn hands-on and use the equipment in preparation for the work field.
Jessica Kallenborn, senior pre-medical student and women’s lacrosse player, said the Human Performance Laboratory will benefit the students by getting the hands-on experience in exercise and fitness testing they will need in the sports medicine industry.
Kallenborn said the new facility is not only beneficial to her team; it will be something all the students can enjoy.
“The new complex will definitely draw in more athletes, but it will also pique the interest of students of all majors who put an emphasis on health and well-being,” Kallenborn said.

KELSEY BRIGHT