Erie welcomes new stores

2014 is looking like the year of upgrades for Erie’s Millcreek Mall, which will be adding seven new stores in the upcoming year.

The first to arrive is Pandora, the popular women’s jewelry store. According to a press release on the Millcreek Mall’s website, Pandora will be opening sometime this month. The new store will be approximately 660 square feet and will be located next to the interior entrance to Macy’s.

Pandora’s famous charm bracelets will be for sale along with bracelets, rings, earrings, watches, necklaces and pedants.

Coming in fall 2014, European clothing retailer H&M will open its doors to the Erie community.

According to the press release, the store will be a whopping 23,000 square feet and will be located near the Customer Service Center and Bon-Ton.

H&M is the world’s second-largest clothing retailer in the world with more than 2,600 stores in 53 countries, according to the website.

Food lovers have no fear because three new restaurants will be opening in the complex.

The press release issued by the mall explained that the former Burlington Coat Factory building will be redeveloped, extending the mall interior in order to create more rental space. The exterior will be refurbished and a new entrance will be added. Mad Mex and Primanti Bros. will open in the renovated area.

Probably the most anticipated store opening, Forever 21 ,will finally be a part of the Millcreek Mall. The store will be 19,000 square feet and will reside between Build-A-Bear workshop and Lady Footlocker. Prayers of girls all across Erie have finally been answered and the store will open in June.

Carter’s, the leading brand of children’s clothing, gifts and accessories, will open a 7,800-square feet store in the first quarter, according to Millcreek’s press release. Right next door, Five Below, a retailer for pre-teens and teens, will open in the summer in an 8,700-square feet store. Both will open in the Millcreek Pavilion section of the mall complex.

Finally, Field & Stream, a new concept from Dick’s Sporting Goods, will appear in the Marketplace across from the complex. The new store will be situated between Buffalo Wild Wings and Springhill Suites and opens in late summer.

With all the new stores coming to Millcreek, it’s a very exciting time for the mall and the students of Gannon University.

Brian Hendrickson, a junior occupational therapy major and shoe enthusiast, said he is very excited for the opening of all stores, especially Pandora to purchase beads for his girlfriend.

As an Erie native, Hendrickson also said he loves to see Erie grow and expand. He said he believes these new stores will do just that for the city.

“First, we got Splash Lagoon, which really helped the development of Upper Peach Street,” Hendrickson said. “Then the casino was built, which was another huge addition to our community. And now the mall is finally expanding as well as all the hotels being built.

“All of these bring in plenty of tourism and will continue to bring new people, as well as continue to bring people back.”

Hendrickson also said that the addition of seven new stores will be great for Gannon students.

“This could really benefit Gannon students by giving more opportunities for weekend adventures,” Hendrickson said. “They can also buy needed merchandise locally instead of having to go to a larger mall out of town.”

Kelsey Franke, a junior nursing major, said she believes the attractions will bring more people to the mall and give the mall more variety.

Franke is mostly excited for Forever 21 “because they always have good deals.”

“My bank account will not be too happy though,” she said.

SAMMIE JANIK