University unites as one community

This entire week marks Gannon University’s second annual Unity Week. Specific activities are taking place every day.

According to Megan King, a senior biology/pre-med major and vice president of clubs and organizations for SGA, Unity Week is a time in which all students “regardless of race, major and background can come together and unite as one Gannon family.”

The main goal for the week is to decrease apathy on campus and strengthen the bonds between students, while providing fun programs and activities for them to attend, King said.

Many familiar Gannon clubs and organizations will be participating, including Panhellenic/IFC, Mission and Ministry, SGA, APB, GU Square, the Latino Student Committee, the Annual Fund for the Senior Class gift, G.U.T.S., the TRAVEL program and Residence Life.

Different activities are scheduled throughout the week, according to the Unity Week flyer. Monday featured an ice cream social and graffiti party, which was held in the Yehl Ballroom and was put on by Panhellenic and IFC. The Amazing Race began Monday as well and continues until Friday.

Both the men and women’s basketball games are on the schedule for Wednesday. The women’s game begins at 5:30 p.m. and the men’s at 7:30 p.m. There will be prizes and T-shirt giveaways from G.U.T.S.

The fun continues into Thursday with “Gathering in Praise” at 11 a.m., followed by “Travel Expo” from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the Yehl Ballroom. The activity will feature the T.R.A.V.E.L. program and Residence Life speaking on traveling opportunities at Gannon.

Later in the evening, “Salsa Night” will be held from 6 – 10 p.m. at The Knight Club, located at 162. W. Fourth St. Hosted by LSC and GU Squared, this event will feature free dance lessons, with snacks provided.

The week concludes with “A Knight’s Duel” from 6 – 8 p.m. Friday. Held at The Knight Club, students are encouraged to come and play games to win prizes, while enjoying delicious sweets. The event is hosted by SGA.

Last year, Unity Week attracted more than 1,000 students, according to Angela Coustillac, graduate assistant at the Student Development and Engagement office and Student Government Association adviser. More than 200 students experienced the leadership speaker, Tom Krieglstein and 500 students attended the Make-A-Wish doubleheader basketball games. A total of 500 T-shirts were handed out to students who participated in different events throughout the week, Coustillac said.

While this is only the second year of Unity Week, King said that she wants Unity Week to help to bring the campus of Gannon closer and continue well into the future.

“I hope that students who participate in the events throughout the week are able to connect with other students here on campus that they may not have otherwise,” King said. “I also hope that students are able to take pride in being part of the Gannon community while also being able to take some time out from their studies and enjoy the events of the week.

“I want Unity Week to become something that all students know about and look forward to each year and something that even incoming students know and are excited about.”

Coustillac said she hopes the Gannon community takes pride in being part of this campus.

“Unity Week originated because we wanted students to feel a sense of community at Gannon,” Coustillac said. “We wanted them to be proud to be a part of the Gannon family whether it is as a student, faculty or staff member.

“Our hope is that each person who attended an event would feel welcomed and meet someone new. We also want the group of students we are highlighting at each event to feel appreciated by seeing so many other Gannon members supporting them.”

SAMMIE JANIK