Gannon, Erie School District partner-up academically

Gannon University has partnered with the Erie School District to create a scholarship for academically qualified, but financially unable, students within the Erie Public Schools system.

The Archbishop Gannon Scholars Program (AGSP) was introduced at a press conference held last month, in the university’s Old Main Boardroom.

The new scholarship program targets students who have the academic credentials to be accepted into Gannon, but also have a zero Expected Family Contribution (EFC) according to the Federal Needs Analysis calculations.

With the AGSP, students with a zero EFC, who are eligible for a Full Federal Pell Grant and a full PHEA Grant, will only need these federal and state grant funds to cover the cost of the tuition to attend Gannon University.

The program requires a 3.0 GPA, and a score of 850 on the SATs. The student applicant must also qualify for both full PHEA and Pell Grants.

Bill Edmonson, vice president of enrollment, said the University has been working closely with the Eire School District to create a program that “attracts the best and most qualified students to Gannon and to advance our mission to providing an affordable, quality education to qualified students.”

The notion of creating equal education opportunities for all students in Erie’s school district began with Gannon’s founder, Archbishop John Mark Gannon.

The history of the archbishop was elaborated on by Gannon’s President Keith Taylor, Ph.D., “This institution was founded to provide an opportunity for poor Erie boys with ability, boys like Archbishop Gannon, to go to college, an opportunity that was not available to them in 1933.

“It’s a day when we are honored to announce another opportunity, one that we think would make Archbishop Gannon proud,” Taylor added. “It’s the Archbishop Gannon Scholars Program, and its objectives are completely aligned with those of our founder 81 years ago: to provide an opportunity for students in the Erie Public Schools who have the academic credentials to be admitted to Gannon University but do not have the financial ability to do so.”

The AGSP will begin with the incoming fall class of 2014.

“The cost of college is very much in the front of our minds here at Gannon,” Taylor said. “So is the future of the city at whose heart we are located.”

According to the Diocese of Erie website eriercd.org, Archbishop Gannon established an unprecedented number of Catholic, educational institutions within the Erie area, including his first establishment the Cathedral Preparatory School. He established Cathedral College in 1933, which formed into the now Gannon University, named in his honor.

By the end of his term as Archbishop, Gannon became known as “God’s bricklayer” after serving for 48 years in 13 counties of northwestern Pennsylvania to help develop and increase the spiritual development among youth.

Not only did Archbishop Gannon believe in supporting faith development locally, but he was also recognized as having an international impact in 1936 after being appointed chairman of the Bishops’ Committee. With this title, Gannon helped to establish a seminary in Montezuma, New Mexico.

His advocacy for equal education opportunities for all who flourish academically despite their income, as well as his recognition toward global concerns and understanding of worldview are continued practices at Gannon University today.

The University acknowledges the Archbishop’s vision through its strategic goals, which focus on innovation, community and worldview.

MALLORY HEDLUND