Former president passes

Former Gannon University President Martin Daniel Henry, Ph.D., died Thursday in Wisconsin.

Henry served as the president of the university from 1987-1991 and is best remembered for the integration with Villa Maria College in January 1989.

A task force that formed to study the issue had concluded that a “total and combined effort” between Gannon and Villa was “feasible and advantageous to assure the future of quality Catholic higher education in the Diocese of Erie,” according to the Gannon website.

Henry died due to kidney and liver complications, according to his obituary, retrieved from Waukesha’s Community Funeral Home website.

Henry was married for 40 years to wife Aimee Monteverde Henry. Together, they had four children.

He received a Ph.D. in philosophy from the University of Pittsburgh. He also received a master’s degree in education from Duquense.

His career path led him to university administration at the University of Pittsburgh, Duquense University, LaRoche College in Pittsburgh, Barry University in Miami and the University of Dayton, in Ohio, where he obtained a juris doctor, according to the obituary.

He served as the president at Saint Leo College in Florida, as well as at Gannon.

Following his education calling, he took on leadership roles for nonprofits, which included the American Cancer Society, Rotary International and Muskego Senior Taxi Program.

SAMMIE JANIK