Volleyball upsets No. 1 Clarion

The Gannon University women’s volleyball team upset the No. 1 seed Clarion Golden Eagles  in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Tournament Quarterfinals Tuesday night at Clarion.

The Golden Knights put themselves in that position with a successful weekend of PSAC action. The Knights faced off against the Seton Hill Griffins as well as the California University of Pennsylvania Vulcans Friday and Saturday.

The Knights began their weekend at 7 p.m. Friday hosting the Griffins in the Hammermill Center. The Knights were able to grab the win in four sets. Gannon took the first two sets with scores of 25-18 and 25-12. The Griffins took the third set with a score of 25-23. The Knights struck back in the fourth set with a final score of 27-25.

Freshman Hannah Kren recorded 23 kills, 11 digs and one block assist in the match. Junior Maggie Desrosiers had 17 kills and 15 digs; junior Megan Wendel recorded 50 assists and 13 digs and junior Taryn Graham had 16 digs.

The Golden Knights continued their winning streak on Saturday at the Hammermill Center while facing off against the California University of Pennsylvania Vulcans.

Gannon was able to take the match in five sets. The match started off on a sour note with the Vulcans taking the first set with a score of 26-24. The Knights struck back in the second and third sets with winning scores of 25-21 and 25-15. However, the Vulcans came back in the fourth set with a score of 25-23.  The Knights proved to be a force to be reckoned with in the fifth and final set with a score of 16-14.

Kren scored her 16th double-double of the season with 22 kills and 11 digs. Freshman Jordyn Thiery recorded 21 kills and 18 digs. Sophomore Kayla Knickerbocker managed to put down 11 kills and one block assist. Junior Emily Carver secured eight kills and Wendel had a career high 55 assists and 11 digs. Sophomore Morgan Walters and Graham both recorded 33 digs.

With these victories under their belt, the women’s volleyball team finished at 14-8 in PSAC standings and advanced to the PSAC Tournament for the fifth consecutive year.

The Knights entered the quaterfinal matchup against Clarion Tuesday night, and dropped the first set 25-18.

Gannon rallied to capture the following three sets, 25-21, 25-22 and 25-20 to take the contest.

Kren led the attack for the Knights while tallying 22 kills in the match, followed by Desrosiers registering 16 terminations respectfully. Kren was honored Tuesday as the PSAC West athlete of the week for her contributions last week.

Gannon will travel to Shippensburg University for a semi-final match against Pitt-Johnstown at 5 p.m. Friday.

KRISTEN MARINI