Alumni gifts Gannon with grant

Rona L. Nesbit, a Gannon University graduate, presented the university with a $30,000 gift to establish The Richard and Peggie Miller Nesbit Endowed “Power” Scholarship and to benefit the Annual Fund for Academic Excellence.

Nesbit graduated from Gannon in 1981 with a degree in accounting. She worked as a financial planner before joining her family-owned business. Currently, Nesbit works for Pittsburgh Cultural Trust as an executive vice president.

When she was at Gannon, Nesbit played for the women’s basketball team. She holds the record for the most points scored compared to any other player, male or female. Her number, 22, was retired and she was inducted into the Gannon Athletic Hall of Fame in 1989.

Nesbit said she established the scholarship for her parents “who through their faith and unconditional love and support of all of their children, instilled the value of a well-rounded education and the spirit of giving back.”

The scholarship will be awarded to an academically deserving student with demonstrated financial needs.

Once the grant is given, a student can count on the support of the scholarship for all four years of his or her time at Gannon.

According to Tony Fulgenzio, director of philanthropy at Gannon, Nesbit is not the only Gannon graduate to set up a grant for the school. He said alumni realize the value of their education and how much it benefited their careers, so they want to give back to the university.

“Gannon alumni are extremely generous,” Fulgenzio said. “Most often, alumni reach a point in their lives and careers when they realize the value of their Gannon degree and the many personal and career doors that have opened as a result.

“They feel a sense of wanting to ‘pay it forward’ their experience by providing scholarship assistance for today’s students.”

Approximately 97 percent of Gannon students rely on some sort of financial aid and scholarship assistance.

Therefore, Fulgenzio said that the Richard and Peggie Nesbit Endowed “Power” Scholarship and other endowments at Gannon help students realize their dream of earning a college degree.

Nesbit’s gift will be matched dollar-for-dollar to create even more assistance for Gannon students.

SAMMIE JANIK