How to couple dress without being tacky

We’ve all had those couple-friends who try to coordinate their outfits. Some of them are really cute and others are downright catastrophic.

I’ve collected some examples of the good and bad of couple’s fashion.

Hopefully, this will keep you and your other half from looking like Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake at the 2001 American Music Awards: a suit and evening gown… made entirely of denim.

Here are some basic rules. Don’t wear all black unless you’re going to a funeral. Don’t both wear all white; it didn’t work in the 1970s and it definitely doesn’t work now.

Besides, one of you is bound to get a stain on all of that white surface area and then the whole effect is ruined.

Let’s laugh at, I mean identify, some of the mistakes that couples have made.

We’ve all seen that retired pair of grandparents wearing matching Disney World sweaters with corresponding fanny packs. That’s all I really need to say about that.

Avoid the following couples T-shirts: “I’m with stupid,” “Thing One/Thing Two,” and the latest addition to the line of lousy T-shirts: the “He’s Mine/She’s Mine” muscle tee.

There are tastier ways to accomplish marking your territory.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate couples fashion entirely. In fact, done right, I really think it’s a great aspect of the fashion world.

It takes some thought and a little skill to avoid tacky and maintain tasteful.

The purpose of couples fashion is really to look good as a unit. If you want to play it safe try some of these more subtle tactics.

Try complimenting your beau with a color or pattern scheme. For example, wearing the same color as a theme is very effective.

You don’t have to both wear the same shade of blue with the same shade of orange, but you could both wear a bright orange: His are orange jeans and hers is an orange blouse.

Then to offset the bright colors he wears a navy cardigan while she wears charcoal slacks with a navy belt. It’s not too much, but it ties you both together with one solid color.

It’s also very effective when you and your partner both wear similar patterns.

For instance, he wears a bold, thick blue-lined shirt, while she wears skinny stripes of the same color.

One of my favorite couple tricks is trading gender fashion stereo types. She wears long pants and a button up shirt while he wears a deep V-neck and a cardigan.

They both look very fashionable whether they’re together or apart.

My absolute guilty pleasure is group Halloween costumes. I’ve tried countless times to get four of my closest friends to be the Spice Girls, Disney princesses and the characters of Harry Potter.

If you and your loved one are thinking of dressing up for Halloween, try some of these ideas on for size.

Go trick-or-treating as the original sinners, Adam and Eve, with a few leaves and some ivy.

If you get a red cape and lots of fur then you could go as Little Red Riding Hood and the wolf.

I personally am going to secure two hazmat masks and orange full body bibs so my boyfriend and I can go as Walter White and Jesse Pinkman from “Breaking Bad.”

We’re still deciding who is going to be who.

Good luck with all of your couples clothing and costuming!

BRIANNA WOODS