Vatican spokesman presents 2013 Loftus Lecture

The Franciscan Revolution has made its way around the world with the Papal inauguration of Pope Francis, and Gannon University received an inside look during a university lecture.

Students, faculty and Erie community members gathered in the Yehl Ballroom of the Waldron Campus Center Tuesday evening to listen to the 2013 Thomas J. and Mary H. Loftus Lecture on Catholic Thought and Action, featuring the Rev. Thomas Rosica.

The Loftus Lecture, titled “A Franciscan Revolution,” captured the newest pope world views, relating them not only to the church, but also the people affected by the church’s decisions.

Rosica stood in front of more than 200 people while allowing the group to acquire a more personal image of the Vatican, the papacy and the pope himself.

“[Pope Francis] captured the hearts and imaginations of the world because this guy understands us,” Rosica said.

“He reminds us that some things do not hold as much weight in the world as others.”

Rosica has appeared in daily news briefings and given more than 160 interviews in five different langauges.

Rosica, a native of Rochester, N.Y., was ordained a priest in the Congregation of St. Basil. He was a Consultor to the Pontificial Council for Social Communications in 2009.

According to the administration, the event had a great turnout and hit Gannon’s mark.

“This is exciting,” Carolynn Masters, Ph.D., Gannon’s provost and vice president of academic affairs, said prior to the event.

“I love the diversity in here.”

Gannon University President Keith Taylor, Ph.D., agreed.

“We are here to embrace our Catholic tradition and explore Gannon’s mission,” he said.

“It’s a great day to be a Golden Knight.”

KATARINA CLARK