WERG preps for return trip to New York

WERG will return to New York City for a second year to attend the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS) Conference this March.

Last March, Gannon’s student-run radio station set out on a nine-hour train ride for an exploration of both the Big Apple and the radio world.

With five students and two adult staff members, WERG traveled as a team to the conference, maximizing full advantage of the conference by alternately spreading out and coming together for multiple seminars and meetings.

The IBS Conference is held annually in the Hotel Pennsylvania inside Times Square. Colleges from across the country are invited to attend, including Syracuse University, Case Western Reserve University and Point Park University alongside Gannon University.

Staff members from each attending college’s radio station would share and compare their own knowledge and experience while learning new methods of operation at various seminars. Some of the seminars WERG attended were “Management Boot Camp,” “Online Radio and YOU!” and “Station Underwriting,” led by WERG’s underwriting coordinator, Deb Carlson.

Mike Avione, a senior communication arts major and host of WERG’s Friday night “Electric Circuit” show, came to the conference expecting to learn a bit more about his craft and left the city a few days later with a renewed sense of direction.

“The most incredible part was that I changed my direction in life,” said Avione, “thanks to the group I was with and the people I met in New York City.”

After sharing knowledge and sitting through seminars and guest speakers each morning, WERG set out to take full advantage of the busy city’s excitement by night.

The WERG staff attended “Phantom of the Opera” at Broadway’s Majestic Theatre, ate at famous restaurants such as Juniors Cheesecake and five-star Uncle Jack’s Steakhouse and wandered around Central Park, FAO Swartz and other New York hotspots.

Zack Borland, a senior chemistry major and WERG’s sports director, also gained appreciation for both the city life and the radio world during his visit to the city.

“Going in the big city, meeting people in the business who know what they are doing who have had success can inspire you to pursue your dream in radio in NYC or in any big market out there,” Borland said. “It is worth every bit of the cost and the train ride when you have the opportunity to go to New York City with friends and can learn something new as well.”

WERG has announced that they will be attending IBS in New York City for a second year in a row this March. For more information about the upcoming trip, visit wergfm.com.

ERIKA KRENN