Thrifting is trending

I love to do all kinds of shopping: shoe shopping, car shopping, even grocery shopping, and yes I like to go thrift shopping.

It’s not something that I have been interested in until more recently, but the benefits of thrift shopping are pretty rewarding. It saves money, reduces waste, and you as a shopper can find cool things that no one else is going to have.

You just have to know what you’re doing.

When I was younger I would always donate my old clothes to the Goodwill. My mom asked me once or twice if I wanted to go in and check it out, and my response was a very snotty, “Ew, no.”

Then I probably posted a status on Myspace with an OMG or an LOL in it.

Thankfully times have changed and we all learn to stop wearing Abercrombie and Fitch hoodies and ripped skinny jeans every single day of the week.

I’d like to think that as college students we are more inspired than before. We can use not only our great sense in fashion, but also our creativity to construct flattering and fabulous outfits.

By shopping at the thrift store, we no longer have to break the bank to do so!

As the great Macklemore once said, “I’m gonna pop some tags. Only got $20 in my pocket… One man’s trash, that’s another man’s come-up.”

To be a professional thrift-shopper you have to follow a few strategies.

There’s no way of going in with something specific to find in mind, because every thrift store is different and you’re never going to know just what you’ll find there.

Look for quality brands that you like. When I shop down a rack I’m always looking for Calvin Klein, Ann Taylor, or stuff from Banana Republic because I know those are quality clothes that will last a wearing.

Stockpiling is definitely acceptable.

Thrift stores aren’t going to display clothes by the season because they get things from people who are cleaning out their closets, so stock up on something you could see yourself wearing in winter or fall.

By the time you’re in college your body probably isn’t going to change that much anyway. Why turn down a pearl, just because it isn’t in season?

Thrift shops are a good place to go recreationally shopping before you hit the mall. The prices are always better than any other store.

It makes me much happier to find what I needed for $3 rather than $30.

Some thrift shops around Erie include Salvation Army on upper Peach Street and another Salvation Army on 12th and Sassafrass streets, Thrifty Shopper, Goodwill, Sassy Peacock, My Sister’s Closet and Plato’s Closet.

Names like Goodwill, Salvation Army or St. Vincent de Paul are the classic thrift shops and also are really great organizations that do good things for the community.

Thrift shopping is not only something that can make you look good, but feel good about yourself as well. It’s a pretty cool thing to look stunning and support the community all at the same time.

BRIANNA WOODS