Gannon University’s Greek life takes on bonfire, kicks off Unity Week

Gannon University’s 2023, Student Government Association sponsored Unity Week.

Erie PA – It was already dark on Sunday, September 17th, and a quarter after 8:00pm, which was when the bonfire was to begin. I found myself hastily shuffling past the volleyball court and towards North Hall and Finnegan in anticipation for the Fraternity and Sorority Life bonfire. This was not just any bonfire, but the start of Gannon University’s Unity Week.

“It was really exciting to see the brotherhood and sisterhood form as they [the Gannon Knights] gathered,” exclaimed Maeve McCormick ’26. This was regarding the fact that not everyone that was present at the Fraternity and Sorority Life bonfire opted to be a member of Greek life.

Disregarding organizational affiliation, Unity Week aided in dismantling barriers and the building of bridges between the Knights of Gannon University.

From September 17th until September 23rd, Gannon University continued to be celebratory as an abundance of inclusive and interactive events were held for all students to partake in throughout campus. Themes were established for each day, determining the attire of the Gannon Knights. This was sponsored by the Student Government Association.

Despite the belief that a bonfire would be ablaze at the event, there were two small metallic fire pits aglow. These fires were surrounded by the lives of the Gannon Greek along with those both interested and uninterested in fraternity and sorority life.

Until 10:00pm, discs were tossed to and fro as cornhole bags were frisbeed onto boards for accomplished aces. Other yard games included Spikeball and four-square volleyball. Students rewarded their victories with savory snacks, like chips, and sweets, more specifically smores.

It was on Monday the 18th, the day following the Fraternity and Sorority Life bonfire, that Active Minds held an event at the Recreation and Wellness Center, from 5:00pm until 7:00pm. Active Minds kept relaxation in consideration. Cold Stone ice cream was made available to those present at the event. This was all while service dogs strolled through the REC. Students wore purple and teal in respect to the themes of Unity Week.

On Tuesday, a division separated students between those fashionably affiliated with the country and country clubs. Knights dressed in boots to button downs wandered within the NASH Library for free, Starbucks coffee in the morning up until 11:30am.

From 12:00pm until 3:00pm, on Wednesday along AJ’s Way, a cookout with Campus Ministry was held. It should be noted that Knights cooked out comfortably, considering that the 20th was also Pajama Day.

Gannon University’s Student Government Association had a day of recognition on Thursday the 21st. This was to acknowledge and express appreciation towards the thoughtfulness of the Association. Students also dressed in designated colors with student year in consideration. First year students wore yellow, second wore blue, third represented in red, and fourth wore green. All while alum presented themselves in purple.

A block party celebration was held at Friendship Green, just outside of Waldron Campus Center. On Friday the 22nd, music made by local band, The Groove, orchestrated the beginning of Homecoming weekend. “My favorite part of Unity Week was the Groove on the Green. It was a nice way to start the weekend and the music was great,” reflected Andrew Lupejkis ’25.

Unity Week concluded at 1020 Collective on Holland Street with a Homecoming Dance. On Saturday the 23rd, buses were offered for students to use as locomotion to and back from the function. From 7:00pm until 10:00pm, Gannon University’s Homecoming Dance was held.

Gannon University’s Student Government Association hopes that “everyone had a wonderful Unity Week” and would like to thank “everyone who came out to all the events this past week.” This is reference to the organization’s Instagram profile, @sga.gannon. Follow Gannon University’s Student Government Association now to keep up with news and events for Knights.