Senior capstone project raises funds for Second Harvest Food Bank

A+group+of+seniors+known+as+the+Harvest+Helpers+is+selling+limited+edition+Gannon+merchandise+to+raise+money+for+the+Second+Harvest+Food+Bank+of+Northwest+Pennsylvania+as+part+of+its+business+policy+senior+capstone+course.+

Instagram @HarvestHelpers

A group of seniors known as the Harvest Helpers is selling limited edition Gannon merchandise to raise money for the Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest Pennsylvania as part of its business policy senior capstone course.

Chloe Forbes, Editor-in-Chief

A group of students in the Dahlkemper School of Business’ business policy senior capstone course has now raised $896.75 for the Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest Pennsylvania.
The group, known as the Harvest Helpers, is made up of seniors Molly Whaley, Hussain Aljaroudi, James Hanchett, Michael Hughes, Dominic Knowles and Brandon Wetherholt.
To raise money, the Harvest Helpers have been selling limited edition Gannon University apparel that cannot be found in the bookstore. These items include T-shirts, a canvas tote and insulated can holder with an outline of the Gannon skyline. The design was done by Iron Empire, a local clothing company.
There is another design option that depicts a ‘70s-style VW bus in Gannon colors with the Gannon named etched over top in bubbly letters.
Whaley, a healthcare management and risk management and insurance major, said they were trying to think of something different for the shirts while still showcasing historical sites like the Gannon Arch.

Proceeds go to the Second Harvest Food Bank, which serves 11 counties, including Erie County. Each dollar donated equals six meals for a family in need, and one in four families in Erie County rely on those meals.
Whaley also said the unwavering support on campus has been very uplifting.
“We’ve seen a lot of support and it’s been great to see other groups on campus send things out,” Whaley said. “It’s nice to connect with others.”
Their goal of $500 was surpassed so quickly that they raised their goal to $1,000 by Monday.
The students will compete with other groups in the class to pitch their ideas, but the real goal is what is achieved outside the classroom.
“Our main goal is to raise money and compete in a healthy way,” Whaley said.
T-shirts are $20-$23, the canvas tote is $10 and the insulated can holder is $7. All of these items can be purchased at https://ironempireclothing.printavo.com/merch/secondharvest.

CHLOE FORBES