Five COVID-safe fall activities to stay healthy and festive

Nadya Makay

Despite COVID-19 precautions, students can still safely enjoy the fun activities fall brings with it.

Ali Smith, Roundtable Editor

Now that the leaves have officially turned and the temperatures have officially dropped, here are five fall things to enjoy in your free time while remaining safe from COVID-19.

Port Farms:

Now through Nov. 1, Port Farms is hosting its annual Fall Fun events, including its petting zoo, corn maze, apple cannons, slide mountain, fall treats and so much more.

The farm is open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday and admission is $12 per person.

COVID-19 restrictions are in place, so check out the website for their guidelines.

Straw Hat Sundae Shop:

Straw Hat Sundae Shop, located in North East, which is about 30 minutes from Gannon, is celebrating fall in a new, creative way. This shop has partnered with Mighty Fine Donuts and Penn State Berkey Creamery to create a new treat that they hope will become signature to Erie: ice cream donut sandwiches.

These sandwiches start off with a plain shell Mighty Fine doughnut, and can then be filled with a scoop of ice cream, and the flavor is your choice. They are then heated in a panini press to create that ooey-gooey texture, and they can be topped with any topping you can think of, although they suggest powdered sugar.

The Straw Hat is open noon to 9 p.m. seven days a week, so be sure to stop by for a fall treat. Remember, wear your mask.

Zoo Boo:

After being forced to remain closed for months following the COVID-19 outbreak, the Erie Zoo finally reopened. Additionally, with safety precautions in place, the zoo made the decision to move forward with its annual Zoo Boo festivities.

Zoo Boo will be running from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Oct. 22-23 and 29-30. Hours will be extended from noon to 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday as well as Oct. 24-25. However, tickets must be purchased in advance.

In order to keep things safe for all families by limiting contact, the zoo is introducing the ZooBOO Spooky Scavenger Hunt. All children 12 and under, along with their families, are welcome to participate. At the end of the hunt, each child can claim a pre-packaged bag of treats.

Eeriebyss

Have you ever driven by the abandoned factory on West 12th Street and wondered what goes on inside?

The haunted 120-year-old factory will be open from 7 p.m. to midnight Fridays and Saturdays and from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sundays until Nov. 1.

Without revealing too many spooky secrets, the haunted abyss is over half a mile, all under one roof! Additionally, this is the only wheelchair accessible haunted house in the area.

Tickets are available on the Eeriebyss website, as well as a listing of its COVID-19 safety precautions.

Mason Farms Pumpkintown

Are you looking to carve or paint pumpkins this fall? Or decorate your space for the season? Take a trip to 839 Peninsula Drive and check out your options.

The garden includes mums, pumpkins, cornstalks and gourds. The farm is open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

There is also a petting zoo, cornstalk maze, bouncy houses, slides and fall snacks. Admission for adults and children is free.

To see the COVID-19 safety precautions, visit the Mason Farms website.

ALI SMITH