Schuster Gallery features local, global female artists

The latest exhibit at Schuster Gallery is a vibrant celebration of life and culture through a feminine lens, premiering just in time for Women’s History Month, which is observed throughout March.
Lori Steadman, the gallery director, is pleased to bring works by female creators to the forefront; the last time Schuster Gallery hosted an all-female exhibit was 2009.
Visitors are welcomed to the exhibit by a multicolored quilt hanging on the wall in the foyer. The quilt, created by the Lake Erie Fiber Arts Guild, depicts key figures and moments in the women’s suffrage movement.
Lucretia Mott, a 19th century abolitionist and women’s rights activist, is featured in one of the patches. Her stitched version gazes down from the quilt while her famous words surround her like a halo: “The world has never yet seen a truly great and virtuous nation, because in the degradation of woman the very fountains of life are poisoned at their source.”
Other women illustrated in the quilt include Malala Yousafzai, a Pakistani activist for girls’ education, and Stacey Abrams, an outspoken politician.
In the heart of the exhibit, works by a variety of female artists – some emerging, some established – are featured.
“In addition to highlighting women, the show also has a definite international flair,” Steadman said, noting that contributors hail from Iraq, Jamaica, England and the Philippines.
Steadman partnered with the Office of Global Support and Student Engagement to curate the show and ensure multiple viewpoints are represented.
MC Gensheimer, an assistant professor of communication arts, has her sculpture “Guardian” on display.
The mixed media piece, composed of ceramic, metal and wood, depicts a feminine figure perched atop an exquisitely decorated platform.
“Women have always been guardians,” Gensheimer said of the work. “Feminine kindness is masked and often thought of as weakness. The kindness of a guardian is truly strength – but sometimes we can’t or won’t see it that way.”
Other eye-catching pieces include a charming pair of oil paintings depicting a pig and a cow. Maggie Harding, a Pennsylvania native, comes from a farming family that spans five generations.
Instruments, food, travel, landscapes and home life, along with a plethora of other topics, make appearances in the exhibit.
A reception will be held from 5-7 p.m. on March 13. The evening will include a “meet and greet” with many of the artists whose works are displayed, as well as refreshments.
The event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact Steadman at [email protected].
Schuster Gallery is located in the lobby of the Center for Communication and the Arts and is open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday.

ALEX STAUFF