‘Fall’ into the season with these festive events

In the spirit of Halloween, here are some spooktacular events to visit in the area.
Peek’n Peak Fall Fest
Peek’n Peak will host its annual Fall Fest Saturday and Sunday. There will be arts and crafts vendors, including local artists, artisans and a farmers’ market for some fresh treats.
Peek’n Peak will have its regular activities like the ski lift rides and ropes course, but there will also be carriage rides, a petting zoo, an exotic car show, a bonfire and cookout, pumpkin cannons and more.
Admission is free, and hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Port Eerie 5k
If trick-or-treating is no longer fun, try sprinting with some skeletons in the Port Eerie 5k.
In addition to being a 5k, this race is a costume contest. Categories include best costume, hardest costume to run in, most explanation required costume and more.
The race will take place 11 a.m.–2 p.m. Sunday at Liberty Park. Online registration is $17, and registration on the day of the event is $20.
Ghost Lake
One of the more fright-filled activities in the area, Ghost Lake’s 13 Levels of Fear offers jump-scares to anyone who goes.
The 13 Levels of Fear is a walk-through that includes stages like Death Row to “step into the mind of a serial killer,” Phobias (filled with common scares such as snakes, puppets, confined spaces, spiders, etc.) and it ends with the Blue Streak Ghoster Coaster — self-proclaimed “the wickedest wooden roller coaster on Earth.”
Sarah Crilley, a sophomore physical therapy major, said she went to Ghost Lake last year, and “it was a great way for my new friends and me to bond.”
Ghost Lake is at Conneaut Lake Park and is open on Fridays and Saturdays in October, 7 p.m.–midnight and 7 p.m.–11 p.m. on Sundays. Admission is $25 on Fridays and Saturdays and $20 on Sundays.
Port Farms
A family friendly activity is the Fall Harvest Festival at Port Farms that runs through Oct. 31.
Attractions include a corn maze, hay rides, apple cannons, a straw fort, fun farm animals and more.
Located in Waterford, Port Farms is known for having plenty of pumpkins and festive photo opportunities.
Mikayla Kiser, a junior nursing major, said she grew up going to Port Farms with her younger siblings. She said her favorite part is the big slides.
“They are massive, and you really pick up some speed,” Kiser said.
It is open every day except Tuesdays. General admission is $8 on Mondays and Wednesdays and $12 Thursday through Sunday. Fridays are college ID days, and admission is $9 when you show your Gannon ID.

CHLOE FORBES