End of Harry Potter means new beginning for writer

I remember the first time I read a Harry Potter book. I was in fifth grade and “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” found its way into my Christmas stocking. From that moment on I have been hooked. My entire family has read all seven books and they are just as addicted as I am. My sisters and I can be found rereading anyone of the books every chance we get.

My favorites are “Deathly Hallows” and “Prisoner of Azkaban,” followed by “Half Blood Prince” and “Chamber of Secrets.” The corresponding movies, though they sometimes venture away from the book, are in my list of favorites. I am sure Deathly Hallows will be joining that list.

It seems weird that one book series has changed the world. People absolutely love these books and everything that comes with them.

Harry and company have been companions though out my middle school and high school years. The books became common ground for everyone, no matter the social circle you were in.

Some of my friends and I even talk about the characters like they are real people. I made sure I finished the seventh book before I got to Gannon freshman year. I admit that the last 10 chapters were the hardest to get through. I cried reading the book and I will more than likely cry watching the movie.

Another thing that makes these books and movies so special for me is the fact that the story is something that connects my family. We have had arguments over the dinner table about what J.K. Rowling was going to do in the upcoming book and we have seen every movie together. We make it a family outing.

My parents are just as addicted to the books as their daughters. It connects the two generations and brings the family together. Even though there are not any more being written, we can still talk about them like they just came out.

Rowling has created a series that will be around for generations. Rereading my well-worn copies always reminds me of her excellent writing – a style that is very detailed and captures the images beautifully.

The basic theme is good versus evil. That is what it truly comes down to. In a way, it’s like the challenge we face every day: to be on the good side instead of evil. Although like in the book, just because you are not supporting Voldemort – I mean, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named – does not mean are not doing evil. Even the best of people do not always do good deeds.

We need to stop falling victim to selfishness. We should start thinking of others. Jesus gave his life for our salvation. Harry sacrifices himself to save Hogwarts and all that he loves. What have you sacrificed?

I am not even talking about life or death, just the small stuff. Those things can be just as big, too. If your roommate needs more sleep because he has an 8 a.m. class and you have a huge test at noon, go study in the living room. If your friend calls you because her computer just crashed, let her use yours.

There is a fine line with putting others first and crossing it may cause stress, so do not let it get that far.

Good usually conquers in the end, no matter the storyline.

Whether it is the Bible, Harry Potter or your life, good is hidden in every corner. Even when your life can be compared to being followed by a Death Eater, something good will eventually happen.

CAITIE RYAN