CHESS dean to take leave, interim appointee named

Michael Guido, Staff Writer

Linda Fleming, Ph.D., dean of the College of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences at Gannon University since 2012, has stepped down from that role and will take a personal leave for the 2019-20 academic year.

Walter Iwanenko, Ph. D., vice president for Academic Affairs, said in a press release that Lori Lindley, Ph. D., who has served as associate dean of CHESS since 2015, would serve as interim dean of the college while a national search is conducted to find Fleming’s successor.

The search will begin in September, and Iwanenko said the university anticipates having a new dean in place by July 2020.

Fleming arrived at Gannon in August of 2000 as an assistant professor. From 2005 onward, she held a variety of positions within CHESS before accepting the role of dean in 2012.

Since then, Fleming has led the department through extensive growth and has seen new programs begin and develop.

“We are very grateful to Dr. Fleming for her long-standing commitment to Gannon and her exemplary enthusiasm and dedication to our students,” Iwanenko said in the statement.

Lindley has been a member of the Gannon University faculty since 2005, following the completion of her doctoral degree in counseling psychology from Iowa State University in 2001.

Since arriving at Gannon, Lindley has held several positions, including psychology program director from 2008 to 2019, chair of the Department of Psychology and Counseling from 2011 to 2015, and associate dean of the college.

Outside of Gannon, Lindley has served on the editorial boards of the Journal of Vocational Behavior, as well as the Journal of Career Assessment.

She has also authored 16 publications that have covered topics such as career development, student engagement, gender and prejudice. In addition to those accomplishments, Lindley serves as the secretary of the board of the Crime Victim Center of Erie County.

MICHAEL GUIDO