Gannon University men’s golf earns fourth place

Michael Marsico led the Gannon University men’s golf team to fourth place at the NCAA Division II Atlantic/East Regional Tournament at Totteridge Golf Course in Greensburg from May 9-11 and earned himself a spot at the national championships.

A sophomore, Marsico shot 220 over the three-day tournament, which was enough to edge out his next closest competitor by one stroke to make the final spot for the NCAA National Championships. Only the top four individuals not on an advancing team earned bids for the final tournament of the season.

Marsico shot 1-over-par Thursday and Saturday (73) and 2-over on Friday (74). The average score for the course was 78.5 during the tournament. Marsico was also helped by the nine birdies he made over the course of the tournament.

Marsico’s next outing will be at the 2019 NCAA Division II Men’s Golf Championships May 20-22 at The Resort at Glade Springs in Daniels, W.Va.

As a team the Knights finished in fourth in a field of 18, one place away from qualifying for the national tournament as a team. This year’s fourth-place finish is Gannon’s best regional finish in school history.

The team of five shot 910 collectively, saving their best day for last. They shot 300 total Saturday to edge out St. Thomas Aquinas by two for fourth place. The team jumped two spots the last day of the tournament.

The Knights collected 33 birdies as a team, second most in the tournament, and the third most pars with 154.

Other Gannon golfers competing at the regional tournament were Ethan Bennett, who tied for 22nd with a score of 78-75-75-228, Abe Holmes (tied for 31st, 80-75-75-230), Mark Majewski (tied for 40th, 78-78-77-233) and Billy Colbert (tied for 68th, 79-81-80-240).