Softball team moves forward

The Gannon University softball team has advanced to the 2019 NCAA Division II Atlantic Region Tournament, after reaching the finals of last week’s Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Tournament in Quakertown.

The Knights went 5-2 in PSAC Tournament play and reached the championship round, where they beat Lock Haven in the first game but fell in the tournament title matchup, 6-4, in Saturday’s second game.

The NCAA announced the lineup for the regional tournament during its live selection show on Monday morning. Gannon (30-14) grabbed the No. 6 seed in its second consecutive regional appearance, and its seventh in program history.

The Knights head to Institute, W. Va., where they will take on No. 3 seed West Chester at 2:30 p.m. Thursday. The double-elimination regional tournament will continue through Saturday.

If Gannon wins its opening-round game, it would face the winner of the West Virginia State/Winston-Salem game at 11 a.m. Friday.

A first-round loss would put Gannon into a losers bracket game at 1:30 p.m. Friday against the loser of the West Virginia State/Winston-Salem game.

In the other half of the bracket, West Liberty faces Lock Haven, while Shepherd takes on Concord. The winner of each bracket will advance to the Super Regional on May 16-17.

The Knights are hoping to match last season’s performance, by advancing to the Super Regional for the second consecutive year.