Finding God on Gannon’s campus: Using voice a powerful way to spread love in today’s world

When I was little, I remember asking my dad what the strongest muscle in the body was.
After some time, he thoughtfully said, “the tongue.”
That moment has stuck with me for years.
It was so profound to my little mind. The tongue truly is the strongest.
For the words that we speak are the ones that can build up nations, tear relationships apart and tell of one’s hopes and dreams.
But that does not mean that we should be afraid to speak.
Throughout the Bible, God pulled out individuals who were afraid to do his work. Jonah physically ran away, the disciples hid in rooms for days after the death of Jesus and Moses himself had a stutter. He did not even feel that he could properly speak.
But God calls each and every one of us to use our voice.
At times, this is through spoken word. Other times, it is with nonverbal communication, written word and even prayerful thoughts.
With our very words and thoughts, we hold power in changing lives and this comes from within us.
As Luke 6:45 states, “a good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”
As many students graduate and head out into a world full of voices, it is their own that they should reach for.
Having faith in God and the trust to know that you are doing the right work can enable us to transform this world around us.
And when we cannot seem to find our own voice, we can turn to one that is greater.
A recent song, “You Say,” written by Lauren Daigle, keys into this.
The lyrics recall how despite what we may think, what he says is the truth that we should hold within our hearts.
A great recollection of using one’s voice is in the story of Moses. Moses was adopted into the royal family of Egypt, but when he came to fight for the freedom of his people, the Hebrews, it was noted that he had a stutter.
Moses could not go in front of the pharaoh and send an order when his own words would not be clear. So, his brother assisted him.
And that is why we must use our voices.
It may not be for our own work, but to assist in helping others. We must come together to speak out for the common good of all.
This world is not an easy one. There are many trials and tribulations that we face throughout our navigation of adulthood.
But God calls to our own hearts to work towards a future that will change for the better.
It does not mean that we need to go and set our vocational lives aside for service work.
All it takes is using something that you already hold within you: your own voice.
RACHEL NYE