Reflecting on overall wellness helps students enter the new year

Wellness is a multidimensional model that encourages good health. Wellness includes social connectedness, emotional well-being, intellectual processing, physical wellness, occupational fulfillment, spirituality and an appreciation of our natural environment.
How was your wellness journey this year? Did you achieve the goals you set for yourself for this year? Let’s take some time to assess your wellness.
Emotional wellness is the ability to understand ourselves and cope with challenges. Do you generally feel happy and laugh on a daily basis? Can you express your feelings in an appropriate way?
Intellectual wellness is the ability to open our minds to new ideas. Do you have specific intellectual goals? Do you get excited when you learn new things?
Occupational wellness means discovering balance and fulfillment in the workplace. Do you have a balance between work, school and other areas of your life? Does going to school give you purpose because you feel confident in your chosen field of study?
Physical wellness means optimizing the health of our body systems by adopting positive lifestyle habits. Do you eat a balanced diet? Are you physically active at least 30 minutes most days of the week?
Social wellness is the ability to relate and connect with others in our world. Do your personal relationships have a positive influence on your well-being? Do you have close, trusting relationships with at least three people?
Spiritual wellness means establishing peace and harmony in our lives by aligning values with our actions. Can you forgive others and yourself? Do principles, ethics and morals provide guidance in your life?
Environmental wellness is the ability to understand our relationship and impact on the natural resources in our world. Do you routinely turn the lights off when you exit your room? Do you see beauty and awe in your environment?
When we talk about wellness, we mean a balance between the seven dimensions of wellness. As a student, focusing on your academics is important but if you ignore other aspects of your life, you might not have the social network or skills required for the type of job you want. It is important for people to make a conscious effort to improve their wellness by creating good habits now that will lead to a healthy life in the future.
On being able to properly balance the seven zones of wellness, Kaitlyn Falk, Wellness coordinator, said, “Reflection is very important to see what you are missing and how to address it. I personally set goals to do something each day for a dimension.
“There are seven days in a week and there are seven zones of wellness. For example, on a social wellness day, I make time in that day to do something with my friends. Doing this has helped me to keep that balance in my life.”
Reflect on your wellness journey this year and be true to yourself. Identify the aspects that you need to work on and make plans in your New Year’s resolutions to live a more “well” life in 2019.

OLUMWAPELUMI OSUNRAYI