Men’s soccer team falls in PSAC quarterfinals

The Gannon University men’s soccer team lost the PSAC quarterfinals match to Seton Hill Tuesday at McConnell Family Stadium. The match went into double overtime tied 1-1 and then continued into penalty kicks where the Knights lost after five rounds.
The scoring action in Tuesday’s tough PSAC quarterfinals loss against Seton Hill didn’t begin until the final minutes of the match.
Seton Hill struck first with 9 minutes remaining. Archie Lock scored the Griffin goal off an assist from teammate Henrik Berg. Berg dished the ball off to the left to land the ball in the middle for Berg.
The Knights responded just two minutes later. Ben Andrews scored on an assist from Baran Kilic. This marked Andrews’ third goal of the season.
Two overtime periods would be played, but neither team could score. Alex Lee Yaw fired the only shot in the first overtime, sailing high over the crossbar.
The trend continued into the second overtime period with the Knights firing the only two shots.
Still tied 1-1 at the end of two overtime periods Austin Iddon shot the first penalty kick for the Griffins. Iddon made his attempt, but Sam Thornton missed his for the Knights.
Both teams exchanged goals until they were tied at 4-4. John Trollsas made his penalty kick to put the Griffins up 5-4. Gannon’s Martin Aanestad missed his following attempt, giving Seton Hill the victory. Gannon finished the regular season with an overall record of 10-7-1.
The Knights lost a heartbreaker in overtime, 2-1 to Millersville, in their regular-season finale at McConnell Family Stadium.
Prior to the matchup, Gannon honored five seniors for their dedication to the program.
A free kick from 23 yards out less than a minute into the overtime period proved to be the difference as Millersville’s Jaxson Burns pounced on a rebound to end the contest.
The game was tight throughout, as neither team threatened until 11th minute when Gannon’s Ivan Manfredi launched a shot that went wide right.
The action for the remainder of the first half was brief but dangerous for both sides, but it wasn’t until 11 minutes remained in the half before Lee Yaw fired the first shot on goal for the Knights.
Two more shots on goal in the final five minutes sent both teams to the locker rooms with zeroes on the board.
The shutout didn’t last long after halftime as Srdjan Dujkovic sent a cross to Lee Yaw, who netted Gannon’s first goal of the contest, his fifth on the season.
The Marauders didn’t get many chances while behind but erased their deficit with just 9:20 remaining on the game clock with a shot that slid just under the crossbar.
Thornton had the Knights’ lone opportunity for the rest of the match but was denied late to send it to overtime.
Millersville needed less than a minute to score a free-kick off of a rebound to give the Marauders the victory.
The win clinched second place and the second tournament seed for Millersville, which finished regular season play 7-2-2 in the PSAC. Gannon went 7-3-1 in PSAC play, good for third place.

MATT FASSNACHT