Pints and Politics offers space for students to discuss current events

Pints and Politics is a relatively new Gannon University- sponsored event from the history department.
Led by Jeffery Bloodworth, Ph.D., Pints and Politics is similar to Theology on Tap as it is a way for students to meet up with each other and have honest and open conversation about pop culture, current events and of course politics.
Students do not have to be 21 to attend, but Bloodworth said he thought it might be fun to hold the program off campus at a bar.
The program is part of the School of Public Service and Global Affairs, which was founded this fall.
Bloodworth has been with Gannon for 11 years and teaches multiple courses on American political history, the Holocaust and genocide. He is also interim director of the new school Public Service and Global Affairs.
Pints and Politics was born from the political division and lack of open-minded conversation about said political division.
Bloodworth said he thinks this program is worth attending because it will give students a free and open space to have a civilized discussion of the current political climate.
The first meeting had 50 people, and the second one had 15. The event has always been and will always be open to students and faculty alike. No one under 21 will be served alcohol but they are still more than welcome to attend.
“I find it important for young adults to have political discourse and arguments to learn new ideas from one another, I feel that in today’s age we just listen to one news channel or one source,” said Caden Pabon, a sophomore political science major.
Pints and Politics began earlier this semester, and the next two will take place Tuesday and Dec. 4 at Molly Brannigan’s, located on State Street next to the Starbucks.
Tuesday’s Pints and Politics will be held on election night from 7-8:15 p.m., which is sure to spark conversation as there are so many seats to vote at the local, state and federal levels
Students may even get a bit of a change to their usual schedule. “We will probably have a contest where students will be able to make predictions about House and Senate seats,” said Bloodworth. “Then at the next Pints and Politics we will award a prize to the closest prediction.”
The goal of this program is to bring people together, regardless of political affiliation, and offer a venue for students who may have never spoken to each other in a different setting, to really trade points of view and get to know one another.
“I want students to be engaged in current events and politics and talk to others that may not agree with them.” Bloodworth said. “I notice that a lot of students get their news from social media platforms such as Facebook and I want students to expand their searches for news sources.”
Bloodworth added that there are free appetizers for those who attend Tuesday’s event.
All are welcome to come out, discuss your thoughts, share your differences, celebrate your similarities and have a pint with some old and new friends.

By Baleigh Klepfer