Men’s soccer tops Mercyhurst, Seton Hill to remain PSAC leader

Over fall break the Gannon University men’s soccer team won two of four games. The Knights beat Mercyhurst (3-1) and Seton Hill University (2-0) but saw their seven-game win streak snapped in a 4-2 loss to East Stroudsburg and they also absorbed a 1-0 loss to West Chester University.
The four-game split left Gannon at 8-5 overall and 7-2 in Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference action going into Wednesday’s 5 p.m. nonconference match with Alderson Broaddus University at McConnell Family Stadium.
Gannon holds a two-point lead over West Chester in the race for the PSAC regular-season title going into this week’s action. The Knights are the only team to have already clinched a berth in the PSAC Tournament.
Sunday’s match against Mercyhurst started poorly for the Knights, as they fell behind, 1-0, at the 13th minute. The Knights had two attempts at the equalizer by Srdjan Dujkovic and Eduardo de Bonis Encinoso that both went wide eight minutes later.
Gannon fired four more shots in the first half but couldn’t light up the scoreboard until the second half. Moments into the second half Joe Knox scored the tying goal off a pass from Dexter Adams for Knox’s fourth goal of the season.
Alex Lee Yaw put the game out of Mercyhurst’s reach with two second-half goals for the Knights. Gannon goalie Hedi Mehnaoui made seven saves to hand the Knights the 3-1 win.
On Friday at home, the Knights fought hard against West Chester but came up a goal short.
The match began with Mehnaoui making a quick-reaction save in the opening minutes. The Rams fired four more shots in the opening five minutes. Knox claimed the Knights’ first shot during a flurry of action in the box in the 20th minute. Austin Ludwik got his head on a corner three minutes later that flew just over the bar.
West Chester’s Jason Pixley scored the game-winner in the 89th minute off a cross into the box from 45 yards out.
Gannon’s seven-game win streak came to an end on Oct. 6 against East Stroudsburg after surrendering four second-half goals.Gannon scored the first goal on its second attempt, a sliding shot from Knox. East Stroudsburg put together an incredible second half, scoring four consecutive goals to take a 4-1 lead. Lee Yaw responded with an unassisted goal in the 88th minute, but it wasn’t enough.
On Oct. 3 the Knights tallied their seventh consecutive win in a shutout victory against Seton Hill. Gannon opened the game with three shots in three minutes. Sam Thornton continued to apply the pressure with a header attempt in the 23rd minute that was blocked. Lee Yaw also had a header attempt at the 37th minute. Gannon finally broke through with a shot from Thornton that sailed into the back of the net at 40:48.
The Knights doubled their lead on a Knox goal in the 79th minute.
Following Wednesday’s game with Alderson Broaddus, Gannon will visit Lock Haven for 2 p.m. match Saturday and then host Ashland at 5 p.m. Tuesday in a nonconference match at McConnell Family Stadium.

KEEFER GREGOIRE