Nursing students provide on-campus clinic for flu season

Fall has just begun, and the arrival of the season marks the arrival of flu season.
Annual campaigns from the Centers for Disease Control and other health programs highly recommend that individuals obtain their flu shots before the full cold season hits.
For several years now, Gannon’s Villa Maria School of Nursing, specifically senior community health students, with the the help of Denise Simon at the Gannon Health Center has provided a flu clinic for all students, faculty and staff.
This year’s clinic will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Oct. 8th in Yehl Ballroom.
The Centers for Disease Control recommends that all individuals receive their flu vaccine, ranging in age from 6 months to the elderly.
Dr. Lisa Quinn, an associate professor of the Villa Maria School of Nursing, said that the vaccine is meant to lessen the severity of the disease, even if someone does still contract the virus.
Each season, some unexpected or extremely virulent strains may show, but researchers predict the most probable strains for the upcoming year.
Quadrivalent vaccines that contain two type A and two type B antigens will be provided at the clinic.
Influenza is transmitted through airborne droplets, which involves both coughing and sneezing, along with having the ability to survive on any surface touched.
Each year, it runs rampant through communities, causing an increase in sick days and hospitalizations.
“As Gannon students, you need to think about how you all live in such close proximity to each other,” Quinn said.
For any student or staff member, especially those in health science programs, this vaccine is highly recommended and may even be required.
“One of the biggest myths about the flu vaccine is that it gives you the flu,” says Dr. Lisabeth Searing, an assistant professor in the Villa Maria School of Nursing.
“Our job is to educate individuals that the vaccine may cause some reactions or a low-grade fever, but it is not a live virus and you are not actually contracting the flu.”
Students must register and present their insurance card along with a valid form of ID, whether a driver’s license or state ID, at this year’s clinic.
Also, those participating should know the name and date of birth for the policy holder for their insurance.
This year, no vaccines will be provided for those under the age of 16. Senior nursing students will be administering the immunizations.
The senior nursing students are very excited to participate this year and will even be allowed to administer the vaccines to their professors.
“I’m excited to finally see all of our hard work pay off in the Gannon community,” said Abby Price, a senior nursing student working the clinic.
Along with finding protection from the flu, those who participate will be entered in a chance to win several prizes.
For any questions about the clinic, contact Dr. Lisa Quinn at [email protected] or the nursing department on the second floor of the Morosky Academic Center.

RACHEL NYE