Gannon men’s water polo remains undefeated

The Gannon University men´s water polo team cruised to four victories in the Laker Invitational over the weekend to remain unbeaten on the season at 6-0.
The two-day tournament was hosted by Mercyhurst University and took place at the Prep/Villa Events Center in Erie.
Gannon opened Sunday´s games with a convincing 18-8 win against Caltech and concluded the Laker Invitational with its most competitive matchup against Lindenwood. Gannon clung to a narrow lead before earning a 12-11 victory.
The Knights staved off a late rally from Salem in a 14-12 victory to begin the Laker Invitational on Saturday. Gannon doubled up La Salle for its second victory of the day with an 18-9 triumph over the Explorers.
Overall, Gannon was strong offensively in the tournament with a combined 62 goals in four matches. Zarko Sadikovic scored a total of 14 goals in the four matches. In the last game against Lindenwood, Sadikovic posted a game-high five goals for Gannon.
In that game, Gannon held a 40-27 advantage in shots and outscored Lindenwood 4-3 over the final two periods for the win.
Lindenwood notched goals at 1:52 in the third and 6:13 in the fourth but trailed 11-10. Thomas Squeglia provided Gannon´s final goal with a tally at 5:22 in the fourth.
In the Knights’ matchup with Caltech Sunday, three players
— Sadikovic, Squeglia and David Gallion — scored three goals apiece.
Gallion scored three of the Knights’ final four goals. Gannon held a 40-27 advantage in shots and outscored Caltech 11-3 over the final two periods for an 18-8 win.
On Saturday against La Salle,
Gannon outscored the Explorers in each period on its way
to an 18-9 win.
The Knights scored the first four goals in the match, all coming in the first period. Gannon responded to La Salle´s third goal by scoring eight straight times for a 13-3 lead.

Riley Hinkley scored four goals to lead all scorers. Robert Bolmanski and Squeglia scored three goals each.
Gannon and Salem went back and forth to begin Saturday’s match before the Knights used a six-goal third period to forge ahead for good.
Gannon returns to action Saturday with a pair of matches against Connecticut College and Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the Connecticut College Tournament.
The Knights will conclude tournament play Sunday against Cal Lutheran.

CRISTINA del DIEGO