Women’s soccer takes first two victories

The Gannon University women´s soccer team started the season strong by posting victories in its first two games.

The Knights shut out Clarion, 3-0, Thursday at McConnell Family Stadium in the 2018 season opener. On Saturday night the Knights earned their second straight shutout victory with a 3-0 nonconference win over Notre Dame.

Knights’ first goal came in the 13th minute of the first half when Nicole Felice headed in a corner kick from Kayla Bevacqua.

In the 26th minute Emily Cekella notched the eighth goal of her career when she found the back of the net on a penalty kick following a foul inside the box.

Lewis made it 3-0 in the second half in the 76th minute on a long ball played ahead by Bevacqua, her second assist of the day.

In Saturday’s game against Notre Dame, Gannon earned its second straight shutout win. This game was Gannon´s only nonconference match of the season.

Lewis put the Knights on the scoreboard first in the 10th minute with a header off Maddie North´s corner kick.

Following a 30-minute lighting delay, Bevacqua recorded her first goal of the season in fifth minute to give Gannon a 2-0 lead with an assist from Lewis.

Lewis put things out of reach for the Falcons in the 71st minute with her second goal of the game on a header played into the box by North.

Hannah Putpaff recorded her first complete-game of the season making three saves.

Gannon will be back in action at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Edinboro in a PSAC match.