Men’s soccer shut out in first 2 games

The Gannon University men´s soccer team got off to a rough start on the season by dropping a pair of road games, falling 4-0 to Notre Dame Thursday and then dropping a 5-0 decision to top-ranked Charleston.

In the season-opener, host Notre Dame scored a pair of goals in each half to secure the victory.

Gannon opened the game with shots from Eduardo de Bonis Encinoso and Martin Nord-Varhaug, but the Falcons responded by scoring a pair of goals three minutes apart.

Paolo Termine opened the scoring with a header in the 24th minute and David Torralba put the hosts up 2-0 at 27:30.

The Knights got off to a fast start in the second half, but Notre Dame countered with a goal at the 49-minute mark to go up 3-0.

Notre Dame put the finishing touches on its win with a goal from Arthur Favero at 65 minutes for a 4-0 lead.

In Sunday’s game at Schoenbaum Stadium, Charleston scored a pair of first-half goals and then added three in the second half.

The defending national champion Golden Eagles jumped out to an early lead with a goal by Tam Dimario less than 10 minutes into the game.

Just before the end of the first half, Gannon hit the post with its first shot but was unable to get on the board.

Gannon will cross state lines once again in search of its first victory in 2018 on Monday against Daemen in New York in a 3 p.m. match at Karrer Field.

The Knights will verse the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown on Wednesday.

CRISTINA RODRIGUEZ