Perry takes 8th place in first 4k

The Gannon University women’s cross country team placed fifth among five teams in Saturday’s season-opener at the Fredonia State Invitational.

Sophomore Cameron Perry finished eighth among 61 runners at the State University of New York at Fredonia to lead the way for the Knights.

Perry ran the 4K race in 16 minutes, 52.7 seconds, her best recorded time.

Maria Lohman, a sophomore making her collegiate debut, recorded a time of 18:03.9 and Grace Dennis clocked a time of 18:05.

Hannah Kurbs of Fredonia State won the race in 16:04.8 followed by MacKenzie Ross of Oswego State in 16:15.8 and Rose Pitman of Brockport State in 16:32.3.

Oswego State took the team title, finishing with 38 points, 16 better than runner-up Fredonia State. Brockport finished third with 59 points and Cortland State wound up with 79.

Gannon finished the race with 134 points.

The Knights’ finish was off from the last two years. In 2017, Gannon wound up second in the meet, improving on its third-place finish in 2016.

Gannon’s Chloe Kernan, Shannon Flood, Meagan Bader, Holly Sandberg and Jacquelyn Giannelli all made their collegiate debuts placing 44th, 49th, 50th, 55th and 58th, respectively.

Gannon will return to action Saturday at the Bethany Invitational in Bethany, W. Va. The meet is scheduled to start at 10 a.m.

This will be the Knights’ second trip to the Bethany Invitational. Last year, they placed third among 16 teams.

KEEFER GREGOIRE