Gannon Office of Global Support and Student Engagement to host annual International Night

Gannon University’s Hammermill Center will be busy with activity Saturday evening with food and performances as part of Gannon’s 25th annual International Night.

The doors open and food is available at 6 p.m. and performances begin at 7:15 p.m.

According to Hinako Kojima, a senior international management and entrepreneurship major and member of the publicity committee for International Night, there will be food from 20 countries at the event and 10 groups performing, and some students will be wearing traditional clothing as well.

Kojima said the performances will consist of dancing, singing and musical talents.

“For example, there is a group of students from Nepal performing dance in their traditional clothes,” she said.

The theme this year is “Under the Same Moon,” and according to Kojima the theme has a lot of meaning.

“Wherever you are on the earth, we are always under the same moon,” Kojima said. “We wanted this International Night to be the place where we celebrate our differences and also to be reminded that we are all under the same moon.”

The night gives both domestic and international students a chance to come together, appreciate each other’s cultures and to open their eyes to the diversity on campus.

Kojima said her favorite part of the event is the food because it’s a rare and unique opportunity to try foods from all over the world.

“They are all dishes that are close to their hearts, and they are very special,” she said.

“This event is possible because of the passion of people for sharing their cultures and the help of those people. I am personally very excited to be part of this event.”

BRANDON JACES