Gannon University introduces inaugural Sports Day

Gannon University’s Career Exploration & Development Services and Sport Management & Marketing Program will host the inaugural Sports Day Friday, Feb. 16, to connect students with employment opportunities within the sports industry.
Various events, such as panel discussions and interviews, will be taking place from 1-4:30 p.m. in the Center for Business Ingenuity.
Eric Brownlee, Ph.D., a professor of management, said that Sports Day is designed to allow students to have the opportunity to get their foot in the door of a challenging industry.
“This event is a great first step for students who would eventually like to work in the sports industry,” Brownlee said.
According to Erin Hart, assistant director of employer relations, many highly esteemed professionals will be attending the event.
“Individuals from professional sports teams, college and high school athletics, as well as others in the industry will be in attendance,” Hart said.
According to Brownlee, attendees will have an advantage when it comes time to find internships and jobs locally in the sports industry because of the formation of relationships with sports professionals.
Brownlee said that students who attend this event will have the opportunity to meet with local sports organization employees. This networking may also result in jobs or internships.
According to Hart, there will also be an opportunity for students to sign up for interviews for internships with teams such as the BayHawks, SeaWolves and Erie Ultimate. Students who wish to be considered for an interview must email Miranda Grom at [email protected] and attach their resume to the email.
Students may also RSVP to the event by contacting Grom.
Hart said that students will learn tips for breaking into the sports industry, as well as gain more knowledge on the industry in general.
According to Hart, attendees can look forward to hearing from professionals in the field speak about their own knowledge and experiences.
“Students should expect to gain a greater understanding of the various opportunities within the sports industry, as well as advice on how to obtain experience and eventually land a job they love,” Hart said.
The panel discussions with athletic professionals will be held from 1-2 p.m. Students will be free to network with these professionals from 2-2:30 p.m. Pre-scheduled interviews will take place from 2:30-4:30 p.m. for various summer and fall internships.
This event is open to all students. Hart said that the event will greatly benefit students interested in communication arts, journalism and the Sport Management & Marketing Program.
Martell Davis, a senior sport management and entrepreneurship major, said that he does plan to attend the Sports Day event. Davis said he hopes the event will allow him to gain connections.
“Events like this are important because it helps prepare for interviews, test our skills, enhance our resumes and learn great insight from experienced professionals,” he said.
Brownlee said that he hopes the event will be effective.
“Hopefully this event will be successful and will become an annual event at Gannon that will grow and continue to offer students great opportunities to gain needed experience in the sports industry,” he said.
Students who wish to learn more may contact Career Exploration & Development or Sport Management & Marketing faculty.
HARLEE BOEHM