Artist Spotlight Series: Aminé

MATTHEW FASSNACHT
staff writer

Adam Daniel, best known by his stage — and middle — name Aminé, burst on to the scene with his 2016 hit single “Caroline,” which peaked at No. 11 on the Hot 100 chart.
Like my last article on Jon Bellion, Aminé is another one of those artists who is so much more than a hit single. In fact, he’s one of my favorites when it comes to clever word-play and punch lines.
Usually these spotlights are for artists who I believe need a spotlight. Although Aminé doesn’t necessarily need the extra spotlight, my hope for him is to not be “the ‘Caroline’ guy.” We’ll see.
Although it may be the best “club song,” there are several songs on his debut album “Good for You” that I believe are better.
The 23-year-old Portland, Ore., native came onto the scene early on when he would make and record diss tracks about rival high schools in his area.
Following high school, Aminé attended Portland State University where he studied marketing before landing an internship with Complex.
Aminé released several small, independent projects before partnering with Republic Records on his way to his debut album released on July 28.
In January 2014, Aminé independently released his debut mixtape “Odyssey to Me.” Later in the year he released his first EP, “En Vogue,” followed by his second and final mixtape before the album titled “Calling Brío.”
In March 2016, Aminé released “Caroline,” his most popular song to date with over 200 million YouTube views and 284 million streams on Spotify. The song was also performed on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.”
In June, “Caroline” was certified triple platinum.
Two months after signing with Republic Records, Amine released his second single, “Baba,” as a follow-up to the success of “Caroline.”
In March of this year, Aminé released a song that wouldn’t be on the album, entitled “REDMERCEDES.”
Aminé cited early 2000 rap as being the influence behind “REDMERCEDES,” which is one of my favorites with over 24 million streams on Spotify.
A month before the release of his debut album, Aminé was named as one of 10 XXL Freshman, alongside artists like Kyle and A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie. The XXL Freshman class is a group to showcase the best up-and-coming artists.
In July, “Good for You” debuted at No. 31 on the U.S. Billboard 200. With features from Offset, Kehlani and Ty Dolla $ign, the album peaked at 15 on the U.S. Rap chart and 19 on the U.S. R&B list.
I don’t normally talk politics — really ever — but Aminé has taken the role as anti-Trump. When he performed “Caroline” on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon,” he remixed it to add a verse dedicated to the results of the 2016 U.S. election.
Aminé’s parents immigrated to the United States, so Trump’s immigration policies have been his main target. I highly recommend checking out that video.

My Favorite Aminé Songs:
1. “REDMERCEDES”
2. “Slide”
3. “Yellow”
4. “Veggies”
5. “Spice Girl”

If you want to keep up with what I’m listening to search “Matt Fassnacht” on Spotify and follow the My Rotation playlist. Or you can follow me on Twitter @Fuzznacht.

MATTHEW FASSNACHT