Lecture series to shed light on concussion awareness issues

Gannon University is set to feature a presentation surrounding concussion awareness. This event will be held from 11 a.m. to noon Tuesday in the Yehl Ballroom of the Waldron Campus Center.
Speaking at this event will be John Leddy, M.D., clinical professor in the department of orthopedics at the University at Buffalo’s Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.
He will be presenting information regarding the dangers of concussions during his talk.
Leddy will be attempting to increase awareness of concussions through his lecture. The topic he will discuss is a growing problem. Millions of these health issues happen every year.
The presentation is sponsored by several programs at Gannon including Gannon University’s Master of Athletic Training, the Doctor of Physical Therapy, psychology, sport and exercise science department and the Human Performance Lab.
It is funded partially by a Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers’ Society research grant and a Gannon Faculty Development Grant.
Kathleen Williams, a professor of sport and exercise science and organizer of the series, said that the goal is to make the audience aware of the issue of concussions.
“In concussions, there may be no outward signs that are visible to the general population so general concussion knowledge may be lacking in untrained individuals,” Williams said in a university news release.
“We want to increase awareness of this problem and give faculty and staff information on how to recognize the symptoms of both acute concussions and post-concussion syndrome.”
This is the first of two presentations regarding the topic of concussion awareness.
A follow-up presentation will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7, in the Yehl Ballroom. The speaker for the future presentation will be Brian Hainline, M.D., chief medical officer of the NCAA.
Students, faculty and staff are welcome to attend the lectures to learn more on concussion awareness.

HARLEE BOEHM