Ultimate music festival guide

SARA BORRO
staff writer

Summer is the best time of the year for a lot of reasons.
An abundance of sunshine, no school and traveling are some of the most enjoyable things about summer vacation, but one of the most highly anticipated occurrences during the summer months is without a doubt the numerous music festivals happening across the country.
Over the last decade it seems that the festival scene has exploded and is a magnet to members of our music-loving generation.
We’ve progressed from the classic days of Woodstock and have created an electric and vibrant energy surrounding live music festivals that draw thousands of individuals to stage-scattered fields every June, July and August.
2017 has a rich lineup of festivals scheduled for the summer months, and with so many popular artists and groups in attendance, festival selection can become a bit overwhelming.
Here is a breakdown of the most popular festivals for those looking for some help in choosing.

Bonnaroo
Bonnaroo is held in Manchester, Tenn., and has been happening every summer since 2002.
The festival will be held June 8–11 and will feature big-name artists including U2, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Weeknd and Chance the Rapper as well as alternative bands including Kaleo, The Strumbellas and Hippo Campus.
Four-day general admission tickets for Bonnaroo cost about $300, depending on the package selected.
This is a solid choice for anyone who wants to take a road trip to warmer weather.

Sunset Music Festival

If you’re looking to soak up the sun as soon as the semester ends, the Sunset Music Festival will be held in Tampa, Fla. May 27-28.

Headliners include Major Lazer, RL Grime, Above & Beyond and Zeds Dead.  Sunset Music Festival has a smaller lineup compared to others on the list, but is a festival that strives to make sure every attendee has fun and stays safe and is a perfect kick off to the festival season.

Karoondinha Music and Arts Festival

Looking to stay local for your ultimate summer music festival experience? Try the first annual Karoondinha Music and Arts Festival taking place in Centre Hall, Pa. July 21-23. Roughly four hours outside of Erie, this new festival has gained some attention with it’s big name headliners including John Legend, Chance the Rapper, Odesza, and Paramore. This solid lineup paired with the scenic open fields of central Pennsylvania make Karoondinha a festival you don’t want to miss.

Boston Calling
Dates for the 2017 Boston Calling festival are May 26- 28 and the event will take place in Alston, Mass.
The lineup for this festival is impressive, with artists including Mumford & Sons, The 1975, Bon Iver and Weezer.
Three-day general admission tickets are $270, and single-day tickets have not yet been released.
This festival would be a good choice for anyone looking to use up some air miles or take a lengthy road trip with friends.

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival
Many would consider Coachella to be the mother of all music festivals. It is the modern-day Woodstock held in Indio, Calif., and draws people in from all over the world. Coachella is unique because it occurs on two separate weekends. This year’s festival will be held April 14-16 and April 21-23.
The lineup for Coachella includes Kendrick Lamar, Gucci Mane and Mac Miller, in addition to dozens of other artists.
Coachella is one of the most eclectic music festivals because of the wide range of music genres present. Despite it being across the country, Coachella is a perfect festival for someone looking to be submersed in a variety of music genres and experience an assortment of people.

Firefly Music Festival
Firefly is held in Dover, Del., and will take place June 15-18. This year at Firefly artists include Twenty One Pilots, Thirty Seconds to Mars and 888. This festival is a fan favorite and is one of the closest festivals to Erie. Because of the radiant and positive environment, Firefly would make a great festival for those looking to go to their first one.

Governors Ball
This festival is held in New York City and will take place June 2-4. Governors Ball is similar to Coachella in the fact that it will have music ranging from rap to indie alternative. Artists include Wiz Khalifa, Marshmello, Cage the Elephant and Saint Motel.
This festival is a smaller one and will be perfect for someone looking to take a trip to The Big Apple in addition to experiencing lots of different music.

Lollapalooza
Lollapalooza has one of the best lineups of 2017. It is held in Chicago and will take place Aug. 3-6. Four-day passes are already sold out, but festival goers can purchase individual day tickets.
The lineup includes Muse, The Killers, The Hunna and Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, as well as many more.
Lollapalooza is a perfect way to wrap up the summer before school begins again, and would be a great time for those looking to see Chicago.
If you’re not particularly drawn to the authentic experience of a live music festival, or are unable to attend, many festivals will live stream the artists’ sets for viewers at home.
Some will even be covered by radio stations. So, even if you’re not able to be present, you can still be part of the festivals.
Live music will never cease to create such beautiful magic and bring so many people together. So if you’ve been waiting for your very own festival experience, don your body paint, flower crowns and space buns and get out there.

SARA BORRO