Springtopia returns to campus with ‘Under the Big Top’

By HARLEE BOEHM
assistant news editor

Gannon University’s Activities Programming Board (APB) is hosting Springtopia through Tuesday to allow students to be engaged on campus by taking part in a variety of events and activities.
Springtopia is a week full of events for students to relieve stress and participate in activities and new experiences.
The theme of this year’s Springtopia events is “Under the Big Top.”
According to Lizzie Gauriloff, APB special events chair, Springtopia is typically held closer to finals week in order to allow students to take a break from studying. This year, however, it is being held early due to the break schedule.
She said that this annual event has changed in order to increase student participation.
“We really want students to stay engaged and get involved on campus, so we are bringing in more interactive events this year,” Gauriloff said.
While the week of activities can have various turnouts depending on the event, Big Prize Bingo produces the largest amount of participation with around 400 students.
Gauriloff said that Springtopia should be used as a time to relax and get engaged on campus with fellow students.
“My hope for Springtopia is that students come to the events and have fun,” she said. “This time of the semester can be really stressful and I think this will be a good opportunity for everyone to get away from it all for a little bit.”
Gauriloff said that students and faculty should plan to take part in this week of activities because it will act as a good break from stress and studying. Students who attend can expect various interactive activities, as well as free giveaways.
The weeklong event kicked off with the Escape Rooms Tuesday. This activity featured three escape rooms set up by Bobby K Entertainment. Teams had 15 minutes to solve a puzzle in order to win the game.
The next event, which was scheduled to take place Wednesday, featured Doug’s wire art. Doug’s wire art visited the campus and made words out of wire for students. These art pieces were student-designed.
Comedy hypnotist Eric Mina will be returning to campus at 8 p.m. Thursday in Room 104 of the Zurn Science Center. This will be Mina’s second-annual performance during Springtopia. Students who attend this event can watch as Mina hypnotizes volunteers.
Big Top Activities will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. Friday in the Recreation and Wellness Center. Big Prize Bingo will take place at 8 p.m. Saturday in the Hammermill Center. Students who present a Gannon ID will receive one playing card. Each additional card will cost $1.
Dave Coulier of “Full House” will be visiting campus during Springtopia at 7:30 p.m. Monday in the Hammermill Center. Coulier will be performing a comedy show for students who attend. Gannon student Gabe Fulgenzio will be serving as Coulier’s opening act. Students are encouraged to purchase the $5 tickets through gannontickets.com before the show.
To wrap up the week of activities, the carnival will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Recreation and Wellness Center. Game Knight will take place at 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Knight Club.
HARLEE BOEHM