Election Day heightens tensions

Americans cast their votes Tuesday to end the 577-day election season and to determine the 45th president of the United States.
As of 11:30 p.m. Eastern time, Donald Trump was leading with 232 Electoral College votes, with Hillary Clinton trailing behind with 209 votes.
A total of 270 Electoral College votes are needed to secure the presidency.
History will be made no matter how the vote turns out. Clinton would become the first woman to win the presidency in the 240-year history of the United States. If Trump triumphs, it would be a big step away from the traditional Washington political establishment.
The nation has seen a massive divide during this election season. Democrats say that Trump would bring a rejection of core American values, while Republicans maintain Trump’s outsider campaign is America’s last chance to drive out a corrupt political establishment.
Gannon University was host to a polling site for students and community members to utilize.
Though the trend for millennials’ political affiliation historically leans left, Gannon’s students seem to lean right.
Molly Wulf, a sophomore nursing major, said that she voted for Trump today.
“I agree with a lot of the policies he has,” Wulf said. “I think that he will help our economy and I think he’ll do the right thing when it comes to illegal immigration and he doesn’t have a criminal record.
“[Trump is] who I think is going to uphold the Constitution and what this country was founded on.”
Olivia Szalanski, a sophomore Gannon student, also said that she voted for Trump.
“I like the Republican party,” she said. “I believe that Trump will make America great again.”
Chelsea McCartney, a sophomore mathematics major, also voted for Trump and said that he believes in everything that she believes in.
“No abortion, the right to bear arms – that’s what he believes in,” she said. “I don’t agree with anything that Hillary Clinton stands for.”
She also said that the main reason she didn’t vote for Clinton was because of the situation surrounding her email server. “She probably shouldn’t be allowed to be running for president,” McCartney said. “I think Donald Trump would be the better choice.”
Dylan Szczepanski, a senior computer engineer major, also voted for Trump.
“He’s the lesser of the two evils, in my opinon,” Szczepanski said. “I just honestly don’t think he’s [running for president] for the title. He has money, he already has power.
“I think he’s genuinely interested in bettering America.”
Kate Robb, a sophomore English and Spanish major, said that she voted for Clinton because she refuses to support Trump.
“I refuse to support a candidate who has no political experience and clearly cannot act diplomatically,” she said. “As a woman, I will never feel comfortable supporting him, not to mention his vice president running mate also has a history of pushing to take away women’s reproductive rights.”
Robb also said that she didn’t vote for Trump because he has made claims that have frightened the Anti-Defamation League.
“If that’s not terrifying, I don’t know what is,” she said. “I am a supporter of America as a mixing pot of people of all different races, religions and backgrounds.
“That’s what makes this country great. Donald Trump is completely against this and that’s just sad.”
Jeanette Long, a second-year English graduate student, said that she also voted for Clinton.
“I voted for Hillary because I appreciate her experience,” Long said. “I don’t think we’ve ever had a more qualified candidate for president.
“I think clearer heads will prevail and Clinton will win the election.”
Though Wulf voted for Trump, she also believes that Clinton will win the presidency.
“Even though I think she’ll win, you have to do your part,” Wulf said. “You have to vote for what makes sense to you.”
SAMANTHA GRISWOLD