Endless possibilities at annual Grad Fair

Local students had the opportunity to meet and learn about graduate school opportunities by attending Gannon’s 33rd Graduate and Professional School Fair, which was hosted Tuesday in the Yehl Ballroom.
The fair is a free annual event that is open to any and all students looking to attend graduate school.
Over 50 schools attended Tuesday’s event and each had its own table, which was personalized with the school’s name, colors and logo.
Sitting at each table was one to three school representatives who were armed with business cards, brochures and fliers to help students learn about their school and the programs they offered.
One of the representatives was Mark McGuire, Franciscan University’s director of graduate enrollment. The most common questions asked involved tuition. The second was about whether certain programs would be offered on campus, online or both, McGuire said.
The fair was a success for several students for several reasons. Gannon freshman Jake Teter, an undeclared major, said that the fair helped to show him some of the options available to him for the future as well as the present.
Gannon senior Jed Smarra, a mechanical engineering major, was impressed with the fair’s diversity, because there were a lot more schools offering more programs than expected.
“It’s got me in a good direction for what I want to do in terms of grad school,” Smarra said.
Gannon students Julia McGregor, a pre-med major, and Melissa Whiting, an occupational therapy major, found their preferred school and had their questions answered at the fair. McGregor is now looking into attending LECOM and Whiting is looking into attending Salus University.
All students interviewed had positive things to say; however, they all had one complaint and that was about the fair’s set up and location.
The tables were lined up and provided little space for students to stand and talk, while allowing others to wander about. A solution would be to have a “…bigger space, one that isn’t as restricting,” McGregor said.
Another issue students had was trying to find their preferred schools. A solution to this would be to have each school use bigger posters,” Whiting said. This way it would be easier to identify the schools.
In the morning, it was slower but steady; however, it quickly picked up around noon, McGuire said. “There seems to be more students attending than I’ve seen in previous years here,” said McGuire. “What has me curious is what your generation thinks about a face to face graduate fair when there are ones online available.”
Terry Herring, D’Youville College’s assistant director of graduate admissions, was also surprised by the fair’s turnout.
Princeton Review also made an appearance at the fair. This company helps students get accepted and enrolled in their school of choice. They offer tutoring and online prep to students.
Princeton Review held a Personal Statement Workshop later in the evening to discuss admissions tests such as the MCAT, LSAT, GMAT, GRE, DAT and OAT.

BRITTINY RAFFERTY