Acro falls to No. 1 seed at Nationals

Appearing in its second elite eight in its three-year existence, the Gannon University acrobatics and tumbling team finished its 2015-16 season falling to Baylor University, 285.175-261.480, in the national quarterfinals in Waco, Texas, Sunday evening.
While the Knights came up short in the team event, one of their competitors took home a major individual honor as Lisa Wagaman was named National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association (NCATA) Freshman of the Year.
It’s the first acrobatics and tumbling performer to earn a major national award in program history. She was part of 15 heat victories and four team routine wins.
At the national event, the Knights never scored under 9.50 points out of a possible 10 in all of their events. The highest score they earned was a 9.75 in the third heat’s pyramid event.
Coming out, Baylor opened with 38.75 points to Gannon’s 35.75 after sweeping the opening compulsory event.
Baylor continued to win the acro event 29.55-28.50 and the pyramid event 29.65-28.85 to open up a 97.95-93.10 lead over the Knights going into halftime.
In the latter portion of the meet, the Bears won the toss and tumbling events with scores of 29.35-27.70 and 57.775-50.600.
Baylor secured the victory in the final team event with a score of 100.10 and Gannon ended the event scoring 90.08 points.
Despite the loss, the event was nothing short of competitive as Gannon was ranked No. 8 and Baylor No. 1 in their first meeting yet.
The Bears remain the defending champs after this year’s victory and last year’s victory over Oregon 286.690-282.870.
The day before, the Knights placed third in a pair of acro heat events. Gannon earned bronze in the acro five element and six element heats.
The Knights finished fourth in the pyramid flip heat while Baylor took the first spot with a score of 9.90.
Gannon took home fifth in the pyramid twist heat with 9.75 points. Hawaii Pacific took the lead with a score of 9.95 points in the event.
The Knights finished 4-5 overall and were 3-1 at home.

BRANDON JACES