Finding God on Gannon’s campus: Nathan Demarest misses childhood during his placement

Gannon asked students about religous perspective and worldviews in a recent online survey.

Welcome back from fall break I hope you had a wonderful time and that you got to enjoy a little “break” from classes. It’s crazy to think that we are halfway through the semester; it doesn’t seem possible.
For all of you who do not know, the majority of the education majors are sent out on three-week placements after fall break, which means that the break we have from most of our education classes is extended for those three weeks.
We observe the class, assist the regular teacher and at some point, teach the students in our assigned classroom, but we are also required to complete assignments for the class that is connected with our field placement, so we don’t get off scot-free with homework.
As an early childhood and special education major, I am placed at Early Connections, which is a nonprofit preschool care center on West Sixth Street. This past Monday was my first day, and I was excited, but nervous.
To replay some of the thoughts I had going through my head, “What if these children think I’m a 6-by-3 jungle gym and start climbing all over me? These are 3- and 4-year-old children we are talking about. What if there are too many of them, and they completely overwhelm me? And what happens when I have to teach a small lesson?”
Thankfully none of my fears were realized, because there were, at most, six or seven adults in the room at one time, versus a dozen or so youngsters. I also had my friend and fellow education major Steven Hu with me, and he could rescue us if we ever had any trouble.
And while I did get to play on the playground with them, they didn’t climb all over me, but we had a lot of fun pretending to ride horses and playing an endless game of tag.
My experience was a little bumpy and messy, because again, these young learners were preschool age and there were plenty of runny noses, dirty hands and faces after we celebrated a birthday with cupcakes, and other events that happened as part of “a day in the life” of a preschool teacher.
I was pretty exhausted after one day at Early Connections. To flip the coin though, I saw so many smiling faces. I saw little children being themselves and letting their imaginations run wild. I saw them learn and interact with many fun and special activities that a 3- or 4-year-old would do with wonder and awe.
It made me think of the Bible verse where Jesus says, “Truly I tell you, unless you… become like children, you cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven,” (Matthew 18:3 NIV). I don’t know how you feel, but there are some days where I just wish I was that age again.
Personally, I may have that desire because I just want to play with my Thomas the Tank Engine trains all day, but in all seriousness, I yearn to have that wonder and awe that those children have.
To be fascinated with a part of God’s creation, like a butterfly, for instance, is a gift that I think we all lose too soon. I pray that, amid the leaves changing color, and that white stuff falling soon, you too can enjoy the beauty of God’s work with the eyes of a child.

NATHAN DEMAREST