Empty coaching positions slowly filling

The Gannon University athletic department has been in a search mode for most of the summer months, as four vacant head coaching positions surfaced since May.

Those empty spots are slowly starting to be filled.

Kerry O’Donnell is the second person to take over as head coach in one of those vacant slots, after Dale White was tapped as the men’s soccer coach in late May.

O’Donnell replaces Lindsey Lowman as the women’s lacrosse head coach.

O’Donnell comes to Gannon after spending the last three seasons as head coach at Georgian Court in Lakewood, N.J. She led the Lions to a 32-18-1 overall record and 23-7 in Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference play.

O’Donnell, who was member of the lacrosse and cross country programs at Rowan (N.J), was named the 2013 CACC Coach of the Year, after a first-place finish in the conference’s North Division in her first year at Georgian Court.

With the two hirings, Gannon has two vacancies remaining – water polo and women’s golf.

According to Gannon Director of Athletics Lisa Goddard McGuirk, Gannon is currently interviewing candidates for the water polo position and is still conducting a search for the women’s golf coach.

Longtime men’s and women’s water polo coach Don Sherman resigned his post June 30 but remains on board as associate athletic director.  And Ben Deets stepped down in May after spending one season as women’s golf coach.

DOMINIC SANSONE