‘There’s an Art for That’ at the Schuster Gallery

The Schuster Gallery  has opened its latest exhibit of student art, “There’s an Art for That.”

The exhibit, which opened Friday, includes work from students of all majors and fields of study who have created these works in and out of the classroom.

During Friday’s reception, the pieces of a mural were displayed in the center of the floor. These pieces are the current progress of the mural that will be installed in the basement of the Nash Library.

The mural is headed by artist Lee Steadman, and has been a project with faculty, staff and student involvement.

Senior physician assistant major Sarah Calve said her favorite part of the exhibit is the mural.

“I thought that was so impressive,” Calve said. “I also liked the cool piece that focused on the eyes.”

The types of entries included graphite sketches, oil paintings, photographs, digital graphics and mixed media.

Lori Steadman, director  of the Schuster Gallery, hosts a student exhibit annually, but this year the event was enhanced by the efforts of junior interdisciplinary major, Catherine Caulfield. Caulfield transferred from Indiana University of Pennsylvania,  where she studied studio arts.

Steadman and Caulfield spread the word about the event by hanging posters and placing an advertisement in The Gannon Knight. They also encouraged students to submit work by creating an entry form and distributing it around campus.

Caulfield submitted five pieces of her own: “George,” “Spring Crocuses,” and “Proud as a Peacock” are oil paintings. “Swallows at Sunset” is an acrylic painting; “New Life” is a copper sculpture, tabletop piece. 

In previous years the number of entries were much fewer and never before had there been such great prizes.

The exhibit was even so professional as to host a juror to judge the students’ works. The student who was awarded first prize for her artwork received $100, second place received $50 and third received $25. The first-place winner was senior Tiffany Kunselman.

Kunselman’s winning piece was called “Daddy’s Hands.” “It was influenced by the hardworking men in my life, exclusively my father,” Kunselman said.  “My goal was to depict a man’s hands strong, rough and calloused yet delicate, soft and giving.  

“The piece is very dear tomy heart because it is a tribute to my father, who has worked endlessly and selflessly to provide for his family.”  

In addition to the visual art there were also two musicians and a poet performing at the reception.

Freshman industrial engineering major Tenger Batjargal captivated the bystanders into stillness at Friday’s reception with his performance of “Romeo and Juliet” on a Mongolian horse-head fiddle.

In total, there are entries from 10 student artists, five submissions from a photography class, more than 10 submissions from a graphic design class and a poetry reading from Tyler Carnegie, who won first place in the English Awards poetry section.

The exhibit will be available through May 5.

The Schuster Gallery is open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and is located on the first floor of the Center for Communication and the Arts at 700 Peach St.

BRIANNA WOODS