Wednesdays ensure fun at The Knight Club

For most students, Wednesdays are always the longest day of the week. Searching for a ways to break up the monotony can become a hassle as Netflix movie marathons grow increasingly more repetitive with each passing hour.

What many students do not know is that there are B-Movie Wednesdays at The Knight Club. B-Movie Wednesdays is a new program that started this year at Gannon University. These are low-budget, classic horror films that will have you laughing at the sarcastic humor and low-budget production. The movies are so bad they’re good. The idea is based on the television series “Mystery Science Theater 3000,” a  show that ran during the ‘80s and ‘90s in which a guy is forced to watch low-rate or B-movies made during the ‘50s and ‘60s.

Sam Hyman, the head of events at the Knight Club, said he got the idea from watching this show and then proceeded to find a student who could run the event over the course of the fall and spring semesters.

“I thought students might enjoy a similar B-movie experience and so I mentioned it to Ricky [Abrar Rahman],” Hyman said.

“Ricky found films that were license-free and received exclusive permission for us to screen them at The Knight Club.”

Rahman is a senior dual major in political science and pre-medical biology. He sought out the licensing because he enjoyed the movies himself. Rahman said he found the movies’ “horrible humor and low-budget production” one of the best parts of the films. Another great feature of the movies is that they fit in the schedules of busy students because you don’t have to see the whole movie to enjoy the film.

“B-Movie Wednesdays provide the perfect opportunity to wind down, relax and just have a good time,” Rahman said. “You can come in during any point in the film and know what’s going on without watching anything prior.”

Ted Hallowell, a senior communication arts major, said he also thinks the movies are great because of their laughable qualities.

“I love going the B-Movie Wednesdays because I have always loved cheesy horror films,” Hallowell said. “From the corny special effects to the intense over- acting.”

The movies playing this semester are “Nosferatu,” a silent film about vampires that plays on March 18, and “The Last Man on Earth,” a movie about a man who finds himself as the last human after a disease turns everyone to zombies, which plays March 25.

In April, the Knight Club will host a series of movies starting with “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes,” where scientists must come together to defend the human race from killer tomatoes. That series will be followed by “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” on May 6 as a way to escape the stress of finals week.

“I think more students should definitely go, because watching bad horror movies is only fun if you have a group of people to watch them with,” Hallowell said.

These films will be shown at 8 p.m. every Wednesday at The Knight Club.

ALIZABETH LENG