‘Actors’ shows audience the game that is life

Life is much like a game – you make one move that is met by opposition of another person, then you make another move and the game goes on.

The game of life is often like the game of chess.

The play “Actors,” written by Conrad Bromberg and directed by Audrey Stadler, looks at the life of both a young actor and an actor past his prime and compares their story at the setting of a chess game.

As the actors play one another, they learn more about the people they wish they were.

As the older actor, Billy Croydon, played by Chase Miles, a sophomore theatre and communication arts major, describes his regrets in life, the audience feels the importance of making choices while being young.

The other actor, Dave Brown, played by Dennis Seth, a freshman pre-pharmacy major, refuses these accounts much like the younger audience members. Dave has a very naive nature in the world of acting, due to his late entrance in the business.

For years, Dave struggled to find himself and be comfortable with who he is. He hides behind his family and their political ties, until he realizes he must venture into the real world to become who he has the potential to become.

Dave reminds me of a college student lost in the pseudo-reality of the first year at college, where students are not exposed to the harsh realities and disappointments that they will face. Yet, the student still strives to find his or herself.

Seth fit the part very well. With regard to Seth’s role in the play, he explained that it was his first acting role at Gannon and that the part was relatable to him, as he learned his lines in the nature of the fringe show.

“Toward the beginning I could easily relate to the character; I had a short amount of time to learn the lines.” “So it was easy to relate to a character who couldn’t get his lines down,” Seth said.

I personally could relate to the character, because I’ve recently switched majors.

As a college freshman, you sometimes find that the person who you thought you were is not really you and what you are interested in is not always the right fit.

When I switched majors, I felt much like Dave – I was confused about what to do next – having “wanted” the same thing for years. I did not know how to move on.

But the play’s message of learning from those around you held true, as I sought the advice of those with experience around me.

Miles did an excellent job of portraying an older voice of wisdom.

Even though Miles is not much older than I am, I found myself looking at him as an authority figure.

Overall, I was very pleased with the production. For the limited amount of scenery and addi tions to the show, the audience feels as though they have been placed in the world of the actors themselves.

Stadler, along with her production team and cast, puts on production full of lessons and comedy.

“This show was one of the best shows I have worked on while directing,” Stadler says in her director’s notes and I would have to agree the show was a phenomenal production.

“Actors” continues for its final production at 8 p.m. Wednesday in Room 104 of the Zurn Science Center. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased at the door.

ALIZABETH LENG