‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1’ entices inner rebel

For the past week, I have had a particular song on my mind. It is haunting, compelling and beautiful all at the same time. I find myself singing it in the shower, when I am walking from place to place and when I am working on homework.

It is quite a feat to become the song I go into at all times of my day. The last song to do this was “A Little Fall of Rain,” from “Les Misérables,” – which, mind you, I became addicted to back in January of this year.

Not only is “The Hanging Tree,” from “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1,” dark and beautiful, but it happens to create one of the most gripping scenes in the movie.

The scene truly starts when Pollux (Elden Henson) asks Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) to sing a song for them.

She proceeds to go into “The Hanging Tree” and there is a strong shift in the undertone of the movie, especially when the members of District 5 start singing with her as they begin to bomb the dam in the district.

At this point in the movie, we have already seen the members of District 7 repeat Katniss’ words as they attacked the Peacekeepers and shouted “If we burn, you burn with us.” But having such a haunting tune underneath amplifies the loss of life and the power of the rebels’ spirits.

Katniss Everdeen is from District 12 of Panem, a place created by the Capitol to supply a certain good (in this case, coal) to support the Capitol.

“The Hunger Games” trilogy depicts this future, dystopian society and follows Katniss as she fights for her life in the Hunger Games.

As she tries to survive the wrath of the Capitol, her actions give people in the districts hope to take it down while she develops into the Mockingjay to lead her people in the rebellion.

Being that this is only part one of “Mockingjay,” it doesn’t cover the entire book.

For being the first half, however, it follows the book well. The movie makes a few minor changes, but they were necessary with the changes from the previous two movies.

For instance, Katniss’ prep team in the books – consisting of Flavius, Octavia and Venia – is much more prevalent. Instead of introducing these characters more in the third movie, the moviemakers brought Effie Trinket – Elizabeth Banks – into District 13 instead of keeping her out of the storyline until the end, like the book.

Overall, though, “Mockingjay Part 1” sticks with thestoryline until the end of the book.

Overall, though, “Mockingjay, Part 1” sticks with the book, which is very important to me as I have a personal rule to read the corresponding book before seeing the movie.

“Mockingjay, Part 1” is by far the most powerful movie yet in this franchise.

There is a feeling constantly flowing through your veins as you watch the movie.

No matter if you read the book or not, seeing the damned and defeated rising up and willing to sacrifice their lives arouses a sense of power in you. But that feeling flowing inside you is not just power.

It is strength and hope. It is a sense of purpose attaching to us as it emanates from the rebels of Panem.

I am looking forward to “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2” as much as many others who have seen the first half.

While most of us have no personal relation to being part of a rebellion to take down a corrupt government, we know what it is like to want to have freedom. We all feel, no matter how deep down inside, that rebel inside of us.

Join the Mockingjay. Be a part of the fight for a new Panem.

CASSIE BIELECKI