Gannon’s season slips away with first-round exit

The Gannon University women’s volleyball team fell to Seton Hill 3-2 in the PSAC West quarterfinals at the McKenna Center at Seton Hill University Tuesday night in a match that was worth the price of admission.

Gannon won the first two sets of its road playoff game 25-21 and 25-23 before losing the next three 25-20, 25-19 and 15-12. Hannah Kren contributed a team-best 25 kills and added 19 digs.

The heartbreaking loss puts Gannon at an overall record of 24-6 with a solid chance of making the NCAA Tournament.

Seton Hill will host the PSAC Tournament championship this weekend. California will meet West Chester at 4 p.m. Saturday, followed by Shippensbug-Seton Hill at 6:30 p.m. The two winners will meet at noon Sunday.

The 2014 regular season came to a close this past weekend as the Knights dropped consecutive matches for the first time since September and were swept for the first time all season.

A trip down I-79 to California, Pa., and Greensburg proved troublesome for the Knights as they lost six of eight sets played.  After leading the Friday match against California 2-1, the Vulcans managed to win the last two sets and hand Gannon only its fourth loss of the year.

The next day’s opponent proved even more focused and hungry as Seton Hill was seeking revenge for Gannon’s home sweep of the Griffins during their first matchup in mid-October.

The Knights were swept for the first time all season in a crucial match that ultimately decided second and third place in the PSAC tournament standings – and home-court advantage.

Seton Hill needed extra points to win the first set but then took it to the Knights winning the second set 25-7.  Gannon made a valiant effort to extend the match but lost the third set 25-20.

Kren had her 20th double-double of the season with 11 kills and 13 digs, senior Megan Wendel had every assist for the Knights setting 29 scores and senior Taryn Graham posted a team-best 16 digs.

Gannon finished the 2014 regular season 24-5 and 17-5 which was good for third in the PSAC West.

ADAM BLAZEK