GU football ties Cal, Slippery Rock with forfeit victory

The Gannon University football team has moved into a three-way tie for first place in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Western Division following California University of Pennsylvania’s decision to forfeit Saturday’s game to the Knights after six Vulcan players were arrested in connection with a beating that sent a man to the hospital with brain trauma.

Five California players were arrested and suspended from the school at practice Thursday afternoon, with a sixth turning himself in Sunday.

The beating happened around 2 a.m. Thursday at an off-campus restaurant.

The players were charged with aggravated assault, recklessly endangering another person, harassment and conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, according to court records.

The forfeit improves Gannon’s record to 7-2 overall and 6-2 in league play, moving the Knights into a tie with California and Slippery Rock atop the PSAC West standings with one week left in the regular season.

Gannon must win its final game and will need help in order to host the PSAC Championship.

The Knights will have to beat Indiana (Pa.) Saturday, while California and Slippery Rock must lose in order for the Knights to play in the PSAC title game.

If California loses to Mercyhurst, a Slippery Rock win would make The Rock the West Division representative. If Gannon, California and Slippery Rock all finish 8-2, California would win the tie-breaker based on a better divisional record, as one of the Vulcans losses came in a PSAC crossover game.

Gannon will close out the regular-season portion of the schedule when the Knights host Indiana as part of senior day on Saturday.

Sixteen seniors will be honored at the noon kickoff at Gannon University Field.

However, it won’t be the final home game for the Knights. Gannon will play one final game of the 2014 season at home on Nov. 15 when the Knights will either play host to the PSAC title game or East Stroudsburg.

Indiana will enter Saturday’s contest with a 6-3 overall record and a 5-3 mark in PSAC play.

DOMINIC SANSONE